Eurasian Regionalism: Ideas and Practices
Following the dissolution of the USSR in December 1991, Russia emerged as the largest and most powerful of the newly-independent post-Soviet states (NIS). Its post-communist leaders initially appeared keen on shedding the vestiges of the ‘empire’: getting rid of what was perceived as unproductive subsidies to other NIS. However, the effects of the dissolution, specifically the breakage of the unified economic complex of the former Soviet Union, were no less harmful to the Russian national interests than they were to the national interests of smaller NIS. Any transition to a new type of political and economic relations between these states had to be managed on a new, multilateral basis. Such a transition mechanism had been proposed in the form of the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), still centred on Russia as an internationally recognized legal successor to the Soviet Union. The CIS started a process of regional (re)integration on a new, post-communist and post-hegemonic basis.
KeywordsMigration Economic Crisis Europe Transportation Coherence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bonapace, T. (2005) ‘Regional Trade and Investment Architecture in Asia-Pacific: Emerging Trends and Imperatives’, Economic and Political Weekly, 40(36), pp. 3941–3947.Google Scholar
- Bordyuzha, N. (2011) ‘CSTO: 10 years of Countering Threats and Challenges’, International Affairs: A Russian Journal of World Politics, Diplomacy & International Relations, 57(5), pp. 40–49.Google Scholar
- Breslin, S., Hughes, C.W., Phillips, N. and Rosamond, B. (eds) (2002) New Regionalisms in the Global Political Economy. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Chizhov, V. (2015) ‘Eurasian Economic Union: Ambassador Vladimir Chizhov’s Interview with EUobserver’, Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the European Union, 2 January. http://www.russianmission.eu/en/news/eurasian-economic-union-ambassador-vladimir-chizhovs-interview-euobserver.Google Scholar
- CIS (2011) ‘Zaiavlenie glav gosudarstv-uchastnikov Sodruzhestva Nezavisimyh Gosudarstv v sviazi s 20-letiem obrazovaniia SNG’ [Statement by the Heads of Member States of the Commonwealth of Independent States in connection with the 20th anniversary of the CIS]. http://www.e-cis.info/page.php?id=19308.Google Scholar
- CIS Executive Committee (nd) 20 let Sodruzhestvu Nezavisimyh Gosudarstv [20 years of the Commonwealth of Independent States]. http://www.cis.minsk.by/news.php?id=319.
- Cohen, A. (2013) ‘Russia’s Eurasian Union could Endanger the Neighbourhood and US Interests’, The Heritage Foundation, Backgrounder #2804 on Russia and Eurasia, 14 June. http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2013/06/russias-eurasian-union-could-endanger-the-neighborhood-and-us-interests.Google Scholar
- Erlanger, S. (1995) ‘War in Russia clouds pact by former Soviet Republics’, The New York Times, 11 February.Google Scholar
- Farrell, M. (2005) ‘The Global Politics of Regionalism: An Introduction’, in Farrell, M., Hettne, B., and Langenhove, L. van (eds), Global Politics of Regionalism: Theory and Practice. London: Pluto Press, pp. 1–20.Google Scholar
- Klapper, B. (2012) ‘Clinton fears efforts to ‘re-Sovietize’ in Europe’, Bloomberg Businessweek, 6 December. http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-12-06/clinton-fears-efforts-to-re-sovietize-in-europe.
- Lavrov, S. (2011) ‘Russia and ASEAN Can Do a Great Deal Together’, International Affairs: A Russian Journal of World Politics, Diplomacy & International Relations, 56(6), pp. 13–22.Google Scholar
- Mankoff, J. (2012) Russian Foreign Policy: The Return of Great Power Politics, 2nd edn. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.Google Scholar
- Mansurov, T.A. (2010) ‘Evraziiskoe ekonomichekoe soobshchestvo — etapy raszvitiia’ [Eurasian economic community — Stages of development]. Presentation of the Secretary General of the EurAsEC T.A. Mansurov at the World Customs Organization, Brussels, 25 January. http://www.wcoomd.org/en/events/event-history/2010/~/media/WCO/Public/Global/PDF/Events/Non_WCO_Events/Speech%20-%20Eurasian%20Economic%20Community_RU.ashx.Google Scholar
- Masciulli, J., Molchanov, M.A., and Knight, W. A. (2009) ‘Political Leadership in Context’, in J. Masciulli, M.A. Molchanov, and W. A. Knight (eds), The Ashgate Research Companion to Political Leadership. Farnham, England; Burlington, VT: Ashgate, pp. 3–27.Google Scholar
- Mukhin, V. (2014) ‘ODKB ostaetsia skoree virtualnoi, chem realnoi strukturoi’ [The CSTO is still more of a virtual than real structure], Nezavisimaya gazeta, 24 December. http://www.ng.ru/armies/2014-12-24/1_odkb.html.
- Nazarbayev, N. (2014) Vystuplenie Prezidenta Respubliki Kazakhstan N.A. Nazarbayeva v Moskovskom gosudarstvennom universitete imeni M.V. Lomonosova [Speech by the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan N.A. Nazarbayev at the Lomonosov Moscow State University]. Official site of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, 28 April. http://bit.ly/1yITRwj.Google Scholar
- Novosti SNG (2008) Voenno-promyshlennyi kurier, 21(237), 28 May. http://vpk-news.ru/articles/2363.
- Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the CIS (2009) ‘Itogovye statisticheskie pokazateli o vypolnenii vnutrigosudarstvennykh protsedur po dolumentam, priniatymv ramkakh SNG v 1991–2009 godakh (deist-vuiushchim po sostoianiiu na 1 ianvaria 2009 goda’. http://www.cismission.mid.ru/ii5.html.Google Scholar
- Plummer, M. G. (2009) ‘The Global Economic Crisis and Its Implications for Asian Economic Cooperation’, Policy Studies, 55, pp. 1–48.Google Scholar
- Putin, V. 2011. A new integration project for Eurasia: The future in the making. Izvestia, 4 October, http://www.rusemb.org.uk/press/246.
- Rustamov, E. (2012) ‘ODKB mozhet okazat’ Armenii pomoshch tol’ko v sluchae neposredstvennogo napadeniia na eto gosudarstvo — Press-sluzhba ODKB’ [CSTO can help Armenia only in the event of a direct aggression against this state — CSTO Press Service]. 1news.az: the first news, 21 February. http://1news.az/politics/20120221041030982.html.
- Savitskii, P. N. (2007) ‘Geograficheskie i geopoliticheskie osnovy evraziistva’ [Geographical and geopolitical foundations of Eurasianism], in B.A. Isaev (ed.), Geopolitika. St. Petersburg: Peter, pp. 235–242.Google Scholar
- Schmitter, P.C. and Kim, S. (2008) ‘Comparing Processes of Regional Integration: European “Lessons” and Northeast Asian Reflections’, Current Politics and Economics of Asia, 17(1), pp. 11–36.Google Scholar
- Söderbaum, F., & Shaw, T. M., (eds) (2003) Theories of New Regionalism: A Palgrave Reader. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Tolipov, F. (2012) ‘CSTO Summit Raises Ambiguity Regarding Uzbekistan’s Membership’, Central Asia Newswire, 23 January. http://www.universalnews-wires.com/centralasia/viewstory.aspx?id=11216.
- Warleigh-Lack, A., Robinson N., and Rosamond, B. (eds) (2011) New Regionalism and the European Union. London & New York: Routledge.Google Scholar