Post-Apocalyptic Inequalities: Race, Class, Gender, and Sexualities in Firefly
After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of new Earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the war, many of the Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggled to get by with the most basic technologies; a ship would bring you work, a gun would help you keep it. A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep flying.
KeywordsSexual Minority Racial Minority Male Character Female Character Crew Member
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.See, for example, Denis McQuail, McQuail’s Mass Communication Theory, Sixth edition (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2010)Google Scholar
- Michael Schwalbe, The Sociologically Examined Life: Pieces of the Conversation (New York: McGraw-Hill, 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.See also Patricia Hill Collins, Black Sexual Politics: African-Americans, Gender, and the New Racism (New York: Routledge, 2005)Google Scholar
- Robert Jensen, Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity (Cambridge, MA: South End Press, 2007).Google Scholar
- 7.Matthew B. Ezzell, “Pornography, Lad Mags, Video Games, and Boys: Reviving the Canary in the Cultural Coal Mine,” in The Sexualization of Childhood, edited by S. Oflman, 7–32 (Westport: Praeger, 2009).Google Scholar
- 12.Ibid. Also see Miguel Picker and Chyng Sun, Latinos Beyond the Reel: Challenging a Media Stereotype (Northampton, MA: Media Education Foundation, 2012)Google Scholar
- 20.James W. Loewen, Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong, Revised edition (New York: Touchstone Publishing, 2007).Google Scholar
- 25.Andrea Smith, Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide (New York: South End Press, 2005).Google Scholar
- 28.Allan G. Johnson, The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy (Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 2005).Google Scholar
- 31.Michael Kimmel, Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men (New York: Harper, 2008).Google Scholar
- 34.Michael Warner, The Trouble with Normal: Sex, Politics, and the Ethics of Queer Life (New York: Free Press, 1999).Google Scholar