“She’s fine,” said my husband’s voice on my cell phone as soon as the line engaged. She was our five-year-old kindergartner at the time. “What do you mean, she’s fine?” I responded on the edge of panic.
KeywordsMaternity Leave Coffee Shop False Start College Tuition Talented Woman
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.William Bridges, Transitions: Making Sense of Life’s Changes, 2nd ed. (Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press, 2004).Google Scholar
- 6.Robert Kegan, The Evolving Self (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1982).Google Scholar
- 8.Sylvia Ann Hewlett, Off Ramps and On-Ramps: Keeping Talented Women on the Road to Success (Boston, MA: Harvard Business School Press, 2007).Google Scholar
- 13.Nancy P. Rothbard and Lakshmi Ramarajan, “Checking Your Identities at the Door? Positive Relationship between Nonwork and Work Identities: Exploring Identities and Organizations,” in Exploring Positive Identities and Organizations: Building a Theoretical and Research Foundation, ed. Laura Morgan Roberts and Jane E. Dutton (New York: Routledge, 2009). hbs.edu, http://www.people.hbs.edu/lramarajan/RothbardRamarajan.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 17.Anna Fels, Necessary Dreams: Ambition in Women’s Changing Lives (New York: Pantheon Books, 2004).Google Scholar
- 19.Betty Friedan, The Feminine Mystique (New York: W W Norton and Company, 1963).Google Scholar
- 21.Robert Kegan and Lisa Laskow Lahey, Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization (Boston: Harvard Business Press, 2009).Google Scholar