Between 1996 and 2014 over 2,100 journalists and media personnel have died while doing their work, according to the International News Safety Institute (INSI). More than half of them were murdered.
KeywordsOrganize Crime Organise Crime Global Civil Society Muslim Brotherhood Press Freedom
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) (2014) ‘#BBCTrending: Open Letter Condemns Fake “Syria hero boy” Film’. Available from <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30087389> (last accessed August 2015).
- Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) (2010b) ‘Valentin Valdés Espinosa’. Available from <https://cpj.org/killed/2010/valentin-valdes-espinosa.php> (last accessed July 2015).
- Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) (2014b) Attacks on the Press: Journalism on the World’s Front Lines. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Greste, P. (2014) ‘Messages from a Cairo Jail: Christmas Greetings, 20 December 2014’. Available from <https://www.freepetergreste.org/peter-greste-lettersfrom-prison-cairo-egypt/> (last accessed August 2015).
- International News Safety Institute (INSI) (2003) Dying to Tell a Story: The Iraq War and the Media: A Tribute. Brussels: International News Safety Institute.Google Scholar
- Lewis, J., Brookes, R., Mosdell, N. and Threadgold, T. (2003) Shoot First and Ask Questions Later: Media Coverage of the 2003 Iraq War. Media and Culture, Vol. 7. Bern: Peter Lang.Google Scholar
- Simon, J. (2015) The New Censorship: Inside the Global Battle for Media Freedom. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Tumber, H. and Palmer, J. (2004) Media at War: The Iraq Crisis. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Tumber, H. and Webster, F. (2006) Journalists Under Fire: Information War and Journalistic Practices. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (2014) ‘UNESCO Director-General Statement Regarding Abdullah Murtaja’. Available from <http://www.unesco.org/new/en/media-services/single-view/news/unesco_director_general_statement_regarding_abdullah_ murtaja/#.Vcy0Ofn09nG> (last accessed August 2015)
© The Author(s) 2016