Reporting in Uncivil Societies and Why It Matters
At a basic level, journalism serves to provide the public with sufficient information to make informed choices about their lives. It can further act in the interests of transparency, supporting good governance and ethical standards, in a watchdog role through investigation and scrutiny, and it can support social cohesion through hosting public debate at a level beyond the capacity of individual citizens.
KeywordsOrganise Crime Israeli Defence Force Digital Security Extreme Politics Investigative Journalist
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ali, O., 2015, ‘Under Attack and Afraid–Pakistani Journalists Leaving Profession’, International News Safety Institute (INSI) blog. Available from: <http://www.newssafety.org/news/insi-news/insi-news/detail/blog-under-attack-and-afraidpakistani-journalists-leaving-profession-1608/> (last accessed 12 August 2015).
- Attanasio, C., 2015, ‘Armando Saldaña Morales, Mexican Journalist, Murdered In Oaxaca After Reporting on ‘Chupaductos’ Oil Thefts’, LatinTimes.com. Available from: <http://www.latintimes.com/armando-saldana-morales-mexicanjournalist-murdered-oaxaca-after-reporting-313945> (last accessed 6 June 2015).
- Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), 2014a, ‘A New Start on Old Murders in Serbia’. Available from: <https://cpj.org/reports/2014/10/the-road-to-justicecuruvija-murders-serbia.php> (last accessed 12 August 2015).
- Deane, J., 2013, Fragile States: The Role of Media and Communication. London: BBC Media Action.Google Scholar
- DNAIndia.com, 2015, ‘MP Scribe Killing: I Told my Brother–Leave Journalism or You Will Die Says Sandeep Kothari Sister’, Available from: <http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-mp-scribe-killing-i-told-my-brother-leavejournalism-or-you-will-die-says-sandeep-kothari-s-sister-2097799> (last accessed 6 June 2015).
- FreeSyrianVoices.org, 2015, ‘Death of the Journalist Mo’az al-Khaled’. Available from: http://free-syrian-voices.org/death-of-the-journalist-moaz-al-khaled/ (last accessed 10 July 2015).
- Glenny, M., 2008, McMafia: A Journey through the Global Criminal Underworld. London: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Gowing, N., 2003, ‘Aiming to stop the story?’, Gulf News. Available from: <http://m.gulfnews.com/news/uae/general/reporting-conflict-aiming-to-stopthe-story-1.372376> (last accessed 15 June 2015).Google Scholar
- Henrichsen, J., Betz, M. and Lisosky, J., 2015, Building Digital Safety for Journalism: A Survey of Selected Issues. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Holcomb, J., Mitchell, A. and Purcell, K., 2015, Investigative Journalists and Digital Security: Perceptions of Vulnerability and Changes in Behavior, Pew Research Center. Available from: <http://www.journalism.org/2015/02/05/investigativejournalists-and-digital-security/> (last accessed 10 July 2015).Google Scholar
- International News Safety Institute (INSI), 2015, Casualties. Available from: <http: //www. newssafety. org/news/newsletter-signup /detail/kidnapped-tv-crew-reported-executed-by-isis-1566/> (last accessed 10 July 2015).Google Scholar
- Marr, A. (2004) My Trade. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Mir, H., 2012, ‘Reducing the Dangers of Journalism: a View from Pakistan’, BBC Academy blog. Available from: <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/collegeof journalism/entries/499fcf9f–61f6–3a26–8547–5aefbc1f6531> (last accessed 12 August 2015).
- Molin Friis, S., 2015, ‘Beyond Anything We Have Ever Seen’: Beheading Videos and the Visibility of Violence in the War Against ISIS’, International Affairs, 91(4). London: Royal Institute of International Affairs.Google Scholar
- Norris, P., 2006, ‘The Role of the Free Press in Promoting Democratization, Good Governance, and Human Development’, Paper presented at the Midwest Political Science Association Annual Meeting, 20–22 April, 2006. Chicago, IL: Palmer House.Google Scholar
- Paterson, C., 2014, War Reporters Under Threat. London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Ponsford, D., 2014, ‘Rusbridger on How No Journalist’s Sources are Safe, Joining IPSO and Why He Would Have kept News of the World Open’, Press Gazette. Available from: <http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/rusbridger-how-no-journalistssources-are-now-safe-joining-ipso-and-why-he-would-have-kept-news> (last accessed 10 July 2015).Google Scholar
- Ramdani, N. and Allen, P., 2012, ‘Marie Colvin: Britain Summons Syria Ambassador over Killing’, Daily Telegraph. Available from: <Error! Hyperlink reference not valid.> (last accessed 21 August 2015).Google Scholar
- Rudaw, 2015, ‘ISIS Executes Woman Journalist in Mosul’. Available from (last accessed 10 July 2015).Google Scholar
- Tavares, F., 2015, ‘Brazil: Journalist Evany José Metzker Murdered While Investigating Drugs and Child Exploitation in Minas Gerais’, Upside Down World. Available from: <http://upsidedownworld.org/main/brazil-archives63/5378-brazil-journalist-evany-jose-metzker-murdered-while-investigatingdrugs-and-child-exploitation-in-minas-gerais> (last accessed 6 June 2015).Google Scholar
- Thompson, A. 2007. Media and the Rwanda Genocide. Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Tumber, H. and Webster, F., 2006, Journalists Under Fire. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- UNESCO: The International Programme for the Development of Communication, 2014, ‘Why Free, Independent and Pluralistic Media Deserve to Be at the Heart of a Post-2015 Development Agenda’. Available from: <http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/CI/CI/pdf/news/free_media_ post_2015.pdf> (12 August 2014).Google Scholar