Sexuality and the Development Industry
A Chinese lesbian activist shows photos from her three way fake ‘wedding’, held in a Beijing restaurant to open up discussion on restrictive social and sexual norms; a Nicaraguan consultant tells the tale of how he was told the sexual and reproductive strategy he’d been commissioned to write contained ‘too much sex’; two Indian sex worker rights activists trade stories of hapless NGO efforts to ‘rehabilitate’ sex workers; and a Nigerian activist explains how she used discussions of multiple orgasms as a means to spark discussions on sex, pleasure, relationships, intimacy, polygamy and female genital mutilation with married couples in the northern Nigerian state of Minna, where Sharia law has been in place since 2000.
KeywordsSexual Minority Sexual Expression Sexuality Research Sexual Pleasure Development Industry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, Vincanne and Stacy Leigh Pigg (eds) (2005) Sex in Development: Science, Sexuality and Morality in Global Perspective. Durham: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Berger, Jonathan (2004) Re-sexualising the epidemic: desire, risk and HIV prevention, in Development Update, From disaster to development? HIV and AIDS in Southern Africa, 5(3), 47–67.Google Scholar
- Cornwall, Andrea, Sonia Corrêa and Susie Jolly (2008) Development with a body: making the connections between sexuality, human rights and development, in Andrea Cornwall, Sonia Corrêa and Susie Jolly (eds) Development with a Body: Sexuality, Human Rights and Development. London, New York: Zed Books, 1–21.Google Scholar
- Jolly, Susie (2007) Why the Development Industry Should Get Over Its Obsession with Bad Sex and Start to Think About Pleasure, IDS Working Paper 283. Brighton: IDS.Google Scholar
- Sarda, Alejandra (2008) Discrimination against Lesbians in the Workplace, in Andrea Cornwall, Sonia Corrêa and Susie Jolly (eds) Development with a Body: Sexuality, Human Rights and Development. London, New York: Zed Books, Chapter nine, 110–120.Google Scholar