The Catholic, Italian, and Tuscan Ecclesiastical Contexts of Don Milani’s “Letter to the Military Chaplains”
- 43 Downloads
This writing will suffer from an obvious defect. It will attempt to sketch one single and concise picture out of the different approaches to peace and war among the varied, heterogeneous, contradictory, and multifarious phenomena that were to be found among the Catholic clergy and laity in Italy and Europe in the late nineteenth and early and mid-twentieth centuries. Hence, it will inevitably be characterized by oversimplification and over-generalization. In addition, in certain parts, it might appear to suffer from another defect; a voluntaristic and idealistic emphasis on the thoughts of eminent thinkers and figures, as though the history of the thoughts, sentiments and ideas of millions of Catholics could be synthesized in the beliefs and notions of a few individuals. Moreover, it might appear to detach these from the variegated social, economic, and political formations from which they stem or, at least, not to give sufficient importance to these. We wish to do none of this, though given the lack of space and the vastness of the subject, this might be inevitable.
KeywordsItalian State Conscientious Objection Catholic Clergy Catholic Doctrine Patriotic Rhetoric
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.See Kalyvas. S. N. (1996). The Rise of Christian Democracy in Europe (London: Cornell University Press).Google Scholar
- 5.Triofini. P. (2009). “Il mondo cattolico italiano tra guerra e pace dal Patto atlantico al Concilio Vaticano II,” In P. Trionfini, Tu Non Uccidere — Mazzolari e il Pacifisimo del Novecento (Brescia: Morcelliana), p.86.Google Scholar
- 9.Sturzo, L. (2004). “La Croce di Costantino” quoted in G. Fanello Marcucci, Lugi Sturzo—Vita e battaglie per la libertà del fondtore del Partito Popolare Italiano (Milan: Le Sice Mondadori), p.30.Google Scholar
- 13.Peter Hebblethwaite (2000), John XXIII Pope of the Century (London: Continuum). p.41.Google Scholar
- 14.Sergio Luzzato (2009), Padre Pio—Miracoli e politica nell’Italia del Novecento (Torino: Einaudi), p.75.Google Scholar
- Thompson, M. (2008), The White War—Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915–1919 (London), p.182f.Google Scholar
- 17.Pius XI quoted in Hebblethwaite. P. (2000). John XIII Pope of the Century (London: Continuum), p.73.Google Scholar
- 25.Franzoni. G. (2008). Il Diavolo Mio Fratello (Rome: Rubbettino), pp.82–85.Google Scholar
- 26.See Bartolini, A., Per la patria e la liberta’. I soldati italiani all’estero nella resistenza, Milan 1986.Google Scholar
- A. Del Boca (2006). Italiani Brava Gente? (Vicenza: Neri Pozza), p.262.Google Scholar