Inequality Constitutes a Particular Place
Riot draws the landscape around it into unique focus. In the USA, in late 2011 and early 2012, hundreds of tent cities were erected, in protest more than as modern-day Hoovervilles. The global Occupy movement spread to the steps of St Paul’s Cathedral. Across Europe, there was anger and turmoil. In a few places there was rioting, including places that had thought themselves largely immune. Violent clashes played out on the streets of Athens and Madrid as responses to externally imposed ‘restructuring’ from the troika of the European Union, the European Central Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). In the UK, many people asked why a large number, but tiny proportion, of mostly young people rioted in August 2011. Many have also questioned the part that rising inequalities could have played in making a number of people poorer and for some to become angry.
KeywordsIncome Inequality International Monetary Fund Cultural Geography China Daily Sunday Time
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ambrogi, S. (2011). Riots Are a Cry for Help: Ex London Gang Leader. Retrieved from the Reuters website: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/12/us-britain-riots-gangs-idUSTRE77B47I20110812.
- BBC (2008). On This Day. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/15/newsid_3750000/3750939.stm.
- Beresford, P. (25 April 2010). The Sunday Times Rich List 2010. Sunday Times, Supplement.Google Scholar
- Brewer, M., Sibieta, L., and Wren-Lewis, L. (2008). Racing Away? Income Inequality and the Evolution of High Incomes. London: Institute for Fiscal Studies.Google Scholar
- Dorling, D. and Lee, C. (2011). The geography of poverty. Socialist Review, October.Google Scholar
- Eloff, A. (2011). Hackney is Everywhere. Retrieved from http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/readerb log/2011/08/12/hackney-is-everywhere/.
- Gateshead Citizens Advice Bureau (2011). 2010/2011 Annual Report. Gateshead: Citizens Advice Bureau.Google Scholar
- Hanley, L. (2011). Invisible Forcefields Surround Our Estates. Retrieved from http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/aug/ll/invisible-forcefield-regeneration-estates.
- Inman, P. (2010). IFS Stands by Judgment That Spending Cuts Are Regressive. Retrieved from http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/01/budgetdeficit-public-sector-cuts.
- International Monetary Fund (2013). World Economic Outlook Database: October 2013 Edition. Retrieved from http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2013/02/weodata/index.aspx.
- Knowles, E. (Ed.). (2009). Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kochhar, R., Fry, R., and Taylor, P. (2011). Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs Between Whites, Blacks, Hispanics. PEW Research Center Social and Demographic Trends Report. Retrieved from http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/07/26/wealth-gaps-rise-to-record-highs-between-whites-blacks-hispanics/.
- Ministry of Justice (2012). Statistical Bulletin on the Public Disorder of 6th to 9th August 2011–September 2012 Update. Retrieved from https://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/statistics/criminal-justice-stats/public-disorder-stats/august-public-disorder-stats-bulletin-130912.pdf.
- Phillips, M. (2011). How the Liberals Ruined Britain. Retrieved from http://melaniephillips.com/how-the-liberals-ruined-britain.
- Ponticelli, J. and Voth, H. (2011). Austerity and Anarchy: Budget Cuts and Social Unrest in Europe, 1919–2009 (Centre for Economic Policy Research No. 8513). London: Centre for Economic Policy Research.Google Scholar
- Qureshi, M. (2011). Debate: London Riots. Retrieved from the China Daily Post website: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/201l-08/15/content_13110309.htm.
- Singh, B. (2011). Debate: London Riots. Retrieved from the China Daily Post website: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/opinion/2011-08/15/content_13110309_2.htm.
- Singleton, A. (2011a). Update: Riots and Area Deprivation. Retrieved from http://www.alex-singleton.com/update-riots-and-area-deprivation/.
- Singleton, A. (2011b). What are the Neighbourhood Conditions of Those Appearing on Riot-related Charges? Retrieved from http://www.alex-singleton.com/what-are-the-neighbourhood-conditions-of-those-appearing-on-riot-related-charges/.
- The Washington Post (2011). (Not) Spreading the Wealth. Retrieved from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/business/income-inequality/.