From #Occupy to #IdleNoMore: Rethinking Space, Settler Consciousness and Erasures within the 99%
Postcolonial theory has been a relative latecomer to the cloistered world of international relations (IR). In 2002, Geeta Chowdhry and Sheila Nair’s edited volume Power, Postcolonialism and International Relations and LHM Ling’s Postcolonial International Relations both marked an important turn towards interrogating the ethnocentric, imperialising and racialised geographies of IR’s mainstream (see also Agathangelou and Ling, 2009; Doty, 1996; Grovogui, 2009; Henderson, 2007; Jones, 2006; Shilliam, 2011; Vitalis, 2010). A similar scholarship has emerged within nationality and citizenship studies in Canada (Bannerji, 2000; Razzaq, 2002; Thobani, 2007) and among indigenous scholars who directly challenge the problematics of sovereignty, racial formation and territorial consolidation as they relate to Anglo-American settler states (Amadahy and Lawrence, 2009; Anderson, 2001; Lawrence, 2004; Lawrence and Dua, 2005; Shaw, 2008; Smith, 2005; Tuhiwai Smith, 1999).
KeywordsIndigenous People Social Movement International Relation Indigenous Community International Relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Canada (2012a). Frequently asked questions — A results-based approach to treaty and self-government negotiations, 4 September 2012. Retrieved from http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1346792541298/1346792586198 (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Aboriginal and Northern Affairs Canada (2012b). Harper government responds to calls for more efficient results-based approach to treaty and self-government negotiations, 4 September 2012. Retrieved from http://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/1346781914593/1346782141075 (accessed 30 March 2013).
- Agathangelou, Anna and Ling LHM. (2009). Transforming World Politics: From Empire to Multiple Worlds. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Amadahy, Zainab and Lawrence Bonita. (2009). Indigenous peoples and black people in Canada: Settlers or allies? In Arlo Kempf (Ed.), Breaching the Colonial Contract: Anti-Colonialism in the US and Canada. New York: Springer Publishing.Google Scholar
- Anderson, Kim. (2001). A Recognition of Being: Reconstructing Native Womanhood. Toronto: Sumach Press.Google Scholar
- Bannerji, Himani. (2000). The Dark Side of the Nation: Essays on Multiculturalism, Nationalism and Gender. Toronto: Canadian Scholars Press.Google Scholar
- Burrill, Fred. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Chowdhry, Geeta and Nair Sheila. (2002). Power, Postcolonialism and International Relations: Reading Race, Gender and Class. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Christoff, Stefan. (2013). ‘Idle No More’ and colonial Canada. Al-Jazeera. 30 January 2013, Retrieved from http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/01/20131289123344980.html (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Defenders of the Land (2011). Retrieved from http://www.defendersoftheland.org.
- Delia Porta, Donatella and Diani Mario. (2006). Social Movements: An Introduction. Maiden: Blackwell Publishing.Google Scholar
- Diabo, Russel. (2012). Harper launches major first nations termination plan: As negotiating tables legitimize Canada’s colonialism First Nations Strategic Bulletin, 10, 7–10.Google Scholar
- Doty, Roxanne Lynn. (1996). Imperial Encounters: The Politics of Representation in North-South Relations. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Ethier, D., Jean-Marc Piotte et Jean Reynolds. 1975. Les travailleurs contre l’état bourgeois: avril et mai 1972. Montreal: L’Aurore.Google Scholar
- Farrow, Kenyon. (2011). Occupy Wall Street’s race problem. The American Prospect. Retrieved from http://prospect.org/article/occupy-wall-streets-race-problem (accessed 24 October 2011).
- Frankish, James C, Hwang, Stephen W., and Quantz, Darryl. Homelessness and health in Canada. Canadian Journal of Public Health, March/April 2005.Google Scholar
- Gordon, Julie and Martell, Allison. (2013). Canada aboriginal movement poses new threat to miners. Reuters, 17 March 2013. Retrieved from http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/17/mining-canada-aboriginals-idUSLlN0C6CYS20130317 (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Gordon, Jessica et al. (2012). Idle No More: Indigenous brothers and sisters taking the initiative for a better tomorrow. Indian Country Today, 17 December 2012. Retrieved from http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/article/idle-no-more-indigenous-brothers-and-sisters-taking-initiative-better-tomorrow-146378 (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Groves, Tim. (2013). Idle No More may have economic impact on Canada. Media Co-op, 2 January 2013. Retrieved from http://www.mediacoop.ca/story/idle-no-more-may-have-economic-impact-canada/15395.
- Hayes, Ryan. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Henderson, Errol A. (2007). Tracing the mystification of racism in international relations. In Wilbur C. Rich (Ed.), African American Perspectives on Political Science. Philadelphia: Temple University Press.Google Scholar
- Idle No More. (2013). Idle no more solidarity spring: A call to action from idle no more & defenders of the Land, 18 March 2013. Retrieved from http://idlenomore.ca/item/154-human-rights (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Johnston, Darlene. (2005). Respecting and protecting the sacred. Attorney General of Ontario. Retrieved from http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/inquiries/ipperwash/policy_part/research/pdf/Johnston_Respecting-and-Protecting-the-Sacred.pdf.
- Jones, Branwen Gruffydd. (Ed.) (2006). Decolonizing International Relations. Lanham: Rowman and Littlefield Publishers Inc.Google Scholar
- Klein, Naomi. (2011). Video: Naomi Klein speaks out against condos in DTES. Retrieved from http://dtesnotfordevelopers.wordpress.com (accessed 2 December 2011).
- Kraus, Krystalline. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, Bonita. (2004). ‘Real’ Indians and Others: Mixed-Blood Urban Native Peoples and Indigenous Nationhood. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, Bonita and Dua, Enakshi. (2005). Decolonizing anti-racism. Social Justice: A Journal of Crime, Conflict and World Order, 32(4), 120–143.Google Scholar
- Ling, L.H.M. (2002). Postcolonial International Relations: Conquest and Desire between Asia and the West. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Ljunggren, David. (2013). Native Canadians could block development, chief warns. Reuters, 10 January 2013. Retrieved from http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/10/canada-aboriginals-idUSLlE9CA8AQ20130110 (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Martin, Melissa. (2013). Round dance: Why it’s the symbol of Idle No More. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 28 January 2013. Retrieved from http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/scene/homepage-promo/2013/01/28/round-dance-revolution-drums-up-support-for-idle-no-more (accessed 30 March 2013).
- McCarthy, John David and Zald, Mayer N. (1979). The Dynamics of Social Movements: Resource Mobilization, Social Control and Tactics. Cambridge: Winthrop Publishers.Google Scholar
- Mills, Charles W. (1997). The Racial Contract. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Montano, John Paul. (2011). An open letter to the occupy wall street activists. Retrieved from http://mzzainal-straten.blogspot.com/2011/09/open-letter-to-occupy-wall-street.html (24 September 2011)
- MUSKRAT Magazine. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.muskratmagazine.com. Najah Hussain, Farha. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.
- Nation to Nation Conversations. (2013). Nation to Nation Conversations: Public Symposium. Toronto: Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE).Google Scholar
- Newland, David. (2012). Parsing the online comments on #IdleNoMore How Canadians are failing a tolerance test. Macleans, 20 December 2012. Retrieved from http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/12/20/parsing-the-comments-on-idlenomore/ (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Nielsen, Tannis, Tabobundung, Rebeka, and Walia, Harsha. (2011). Race, colonialism and the 99%. Teach-in at the #OccupyToronto encampment at St. James’ Park 3 November.Google Scholar
- No One is Illegal — Toronto. (2011). Retrieved from http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org.
- No One is Illegal — Vancouver. (2011). Retrieved from http://noii-van.resist.ca.
- Occupons-Québec. (2011). Qu’est-ce que le mouvement ‘Occupons-Québec’? Retrieved from http://occuponsquebec.org/le-mouvement/occupons-quebec.
- OccupyTheHood.org. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.officialoccupythehood.org.
- Ontario Coalition Against Poverty. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.ocap.ca.
- Pasternak, Shiri. (2011). Occupy(ed) Canada: The political economy of Indigenous dispossession in Canada. Rabble.ca, 20 October 2011. Retrieved from http://rabble.ca/news/2011/10/occupyed-canada-political-economy-indigenous-dispossession-canada.
- Rands, Chris. (2012). Chief spence exclusive interview. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, 18 December 2012. Retrieved from http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2318285061 (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Razzaq, Sherene. (2002). Race, Space and the Law: Unmapping White Settler Society. Toronto: Between the Lines.Google Scholar
- Rezaee, Jasmine. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Schofield, Liisa. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Sen, Rinku. (2011). Occupy everywhere: Michael Moore, Naomi Klein on next steps for the movement against corporate power. Democracy Now! 25 November 2011. Retrieved from http://www.democracynow.org/2011/11/25/occupy_everywhere_michael_moore_naomi_klein.
- Shaw, Karena. (2008). Indigeneity and Political Theory: Sovereignty and the Limits of the Political. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Shilliam, Robbie. (2011). International Relations and Non-Westem Thought: Imperialism, Colonialism and Investigations of Global Modernity. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Simpson, Leanne. (2013). Idle No More: Where the mainstream media went wrong; Self-representing the people’s movement. The Dominion, 27 February 2013. Retrieved from http://dominion.mediacoop.ca/story/idle-no-more-and-mainstream-media/16023 (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Smith, Andrea. (2005). Conquest: Sexual Violence and American Indian Genocide. Cambridge: South End Press.Google Scholar
- Smith, Andrea. (2011). Critical ethnic studies and the future of genocide. March 2011. Retrieved from http://www.queergeektheory.org/2011/03/cesa-2011-liveblog-white-supremacy-and-settler-colonialism-plenary.
- Stop the Cuts. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.torontostopthecuts.com.
- Tabobondung, Rebeka. (2011). Email interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Thobani, Sunera. (2007). Exalted Subjects: Studies in the Making of Race and Nation in Canada. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.Google Scholar
- Tilly, Charles (2004). Social Movements, 1768–2004. Boulder: Paradigm Publishers.Google Scholar
- Tuhiwai Smith, Linda. (1999). Decolonizing Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- United Nations’ Economic and Social Council. (2012). ‘Doctrine of Discovery,’ Used for Centuries to Justify Seizure of Indigenous Land, Subjugate Peoples, Must be Repudiated by United Nations, Permanent Forum Told. New York: UN Department of Public Information, News and Media Division, 8 May 2012. Retrieved from http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2012/hr5088.doc.htm (accessed 30 March 2013)
- Walia, Harsha. (2011a). Phone interview. 27 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Walia, Harsha. (2011b). Letter to occupy together movement. Rabble.ca, 14 October 2011. Retrieved from http://rabble.ca/news/2011/10/acknowledgement-occupations-occupied-land-essential.
- Yee, Jessica. (2011). Occupy Wall Street: The game of colonialism and further nationalism to be decolonized from the ‘Left.’ Racialicious, 30 September 2011. Retrieved from http://www.racialicious.com/2011/09/30/occupy-wall-street-the-game-of-colonialism-and-further-nationalism-to-be-decolonized-from-the-left