What Is the Good of Philosophical History?
At many universities, one can find scholars who style themselves historians of some sort, who are nevertheless not employed in history departments — the historians of philosophy that no self-respecting philosophy department can be without. Such creatures are especially remarkable when they reside in primarily ‘analytic’ philosophy departments — analytic philosophy, after all, is the most ahistorical of philosophical schools. Most curious of all, perhaps, is a still-young breed — we historians of analytic philosophy. Why do beings like us exist? What purpose do we serve? Such questions form the theme which I would like to address, in at least a preliminary way, in this chapter.
KeywordsAnalytic Philosophy Propositional Attitude Philosophical Study Royal Road American Philosophical Association
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butterfield, Herbert. 1931. The Whig Interpretation of History. London: G. Bell and Sons.Google Scholar
- Butterfield, Herbert. 1951. The Origins of Modern Science. New York: Macmillan Company.Google Scholar
- Byrne, Alex and Ned Hall. 2004. Necessary Truths. Review of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century by Scott Soames. Boston Review. http://bostonreview.net/BR29.5/byrnehall.php.
- Carr, E.H. 1961. What Is History? London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Diamond, Cora. 1995. The Realistic Spirit. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Elton, G.R. 1987. The Practice of History. London: Fontana.Google Scholar
- Fischer, David Hackett. 1970. Historian’s Fallacies: Towards a Logic of Historical Thought. New York: Harper and Row.Google Scholar
- Gabbay, D.M. and J. Woods, eds 2008. British Logic in the Nineteenth Century. Handbook of the History of Logic, vol. 4. Amsterdam: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Griffin, Nicholas. 2005. Review of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, Vol. 1: The Dawn of Analysis, by Scott Soames. Philosophy in Review 25: 140–3.Google Scholar
- Griffin, Nicholas. 2006. Review of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, Vol. 2: The Age of Meaning, by Scott Soames. Philosophy in Review 26: 139–42.Google Scholar
- Hrachovec, Herbert. 2000. Wittgenstein on line/on the line. Paper read at the Philosophy department of the University of Bergen. January 11. http://wab.aksis.uib.no/wab_contrib-hh.page.
- Kneale, William and Martha Kneale. 1962. The Development of Logic. Oxford: Clarendon Press.Google Scholar
- Kremer, Michael. 2005. Review of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century by Scott Soames. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, (19 September 2005), http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=4061.
- Kremer, Michael. 2006. The Good of Philosophical History. Paper read at Author meets Critics session on Scott Soames, Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division Meeting, Portland, OR, March 25.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, Thomas S. 1962. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (International Encyclopedia of Unified Science II:2). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, Thomas S. 1977. The History of Science. In The Essential Tension, Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 105–26. Originally published in International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, vol. 14 (New York: Crowell Collier and Macmillan, 1968).Google Scholar
- Kvanvig, Jon. 2005. Soames and Moore. http://el-prod.baylor.edu/certain_doubts/?p=445.
- McDowell, John. 1998. Some Issues in Aristotle’s Moral Psychology. In Mind, Value and Reality, Harvard: Harvard University Press, 23–49.Google Scholar
- McEwen, Cameron. 2006. Wittgenstein in Digital Form: Perspectives for the Future. In eds. Alois Pichler and Simo Säätelä, Wittgenstein: The Philosopher and his Works. Frankfurt a.M.: ontos verlag, 418–30.Google Scholar
- Monk, Ray. 1990. Ludwig Wittgenstein: The Duty of Genius. New York: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Pincock, Christopher. 2005–6. History of Philosophical Analysis. Review of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century by Scott Soames. Russell: The Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies 25: 167–71.Google Scholar
- Pincock, Christopher. 2006. Rejoinder to Soames. Russell: The Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies 26: 77–86.Google Scholar
- Preston, Aaron. 2005. The Implications of Recent Work in the History of Analytic Philosophy. Bertrand Russell Society Quarterly 127: 11–30.Google Scholar
- Rorty, Richard. 2005. How many grains make a heap? Review of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century by Scott Soames. London Review of Books. 20 January.Google Scholar
- Russell, Bertrand. 1959. The Problems of Philosophy. First published in 1912. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Sainsbury, R.M. 2006. Scott Soames, Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century: Vol. 1: The Dawn of Analysis. Philosophical Studies 129: 637–43.Google Scholar
- Soames, Scott. 2003a. Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, Vol. 1, The Dawn of Analysis. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2003.Google Scholar
- Soames, Scott. 2003b. Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, Vol. 2, The Age of Meaning. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2003.Google Scholar
- Soames, Scott. 2005–6. Reply to Pincock. Russell: The Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies 25: 172–7.Google Scholar
- Soames, Scott. 2006c. Reply to Critics of Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century: Christopher Pincock, Thomas Hurka, Michael Kremer, and Paul Horwich. Paper read at Author meets Critics session on Scott Soames, Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, American Philosophical Association, Pacific Division Meeting, Portland, OR, March 25. http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~soames/replies/Rep_APA.pdf.Google Scholar
- Tarski, Alfred. 1983. The Concept of Truth in Formalized Languages. First published (in Polish) in 1933. J.H. Woodger, trans. In J. Corcoran, ed., Logic, Semantics, Metamathematics, 2nd ed. Indianapolis: Hackett Publishing Co., 152–278.Google Scholar
- Tosh, John, and Sean Lang. 2006. The Pursuit of History. 4th ed. Harlow: Pearson Education Ltd.Google Scholar
- Weatherson, Brian. 2005a. Rorty vs Soames. http://tar.weatherson.org/2005/03/01/rorty-vs-soames/.
- Weatherson Brian. 2005b. Kremer on Soames. http://tar.weatherson.org/2005/10/10/kremer-on-soames/.
- Weatherson, Brian. 2005c. Soames on History, http://tar.weatherson.org/2005/10/16/soames-on-history/.
- Whitehead Alfred North, and Bertrand Russell. 1927. Principia Mathematica. Vol. 1. 2nd ed. First published in 1910. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1927.Google Scholar
- Williams, Bernard. 2006. Descartes and the Historiography of Philosophy. In The Sense of the Past, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 257–65.Google Scholar
- Wittgenstein, Ludwig. 1981. Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. C.K. Ogden, trans. First published in 1922, reprinted with corrections 1933. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul.Google Scholar