The Unspoken Mission: Undermining Civil Wars
War as an institution has evolved over human history. Its conduct has been particularly sensitive to the nature of the existing international system and to changes in technology. The system reveals the stakes and players in war, and technology influences the tools and strategies the players use. A new international system and advanced technologies have dramatically changed the nature of war.
KeywordsArmed Conflict National Society Geneva Convention Child Soldier Major Power
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Umesh Palwankar, ed., Symposium on Humanitarian Action and Peace-keeping Operations: Report (Geneva: ICRC, 1994), p. 63.Google Scholar
- 6.Peter Hansen, “Humanitarian Aid on an International Scope,” The Christian Science Monitor, 15 August 1995, p. 18.Google Scholar
- 8.Rodolfo A. Windhausen, “UN’s Refugee Agency Defies Worn Stereotypes,” The Christian Science Monitor, 21 December 1995, p. 19.Google Scholar
- 13.François Jean, Life, Death and Aid: The Medécins sans Frontières Report on World Crisis Intervention (London: Routledge, 1993), p. 10.Google Scholar
- 16.Yves Sandoz. “A Time to Speak Out for the Victims.” Crosslines Vol. 3(4) (December 1995/January 1996), p. 29.Google Scholar
- 17.M. Mercier, Crimes sans Châtement (Bruxelles: Bruylant, 1994) as cited in the ICRC Annual Report 1994 p. 155.Google Scholar
- 18.As quoted in André Durand, “The Development of the Idea of Peace in the Thinking of Henry Dunant,” extract from the International Review of the Red Cross (January/February 1986), p. 5.Google Scholar
- 19.As quoted in Andre Durand, “Gustave Monyier and the Peace Societies,” International Review of the Red Cross No. 314 (September/October 1996), pp. 546–47.Google Scholar
- 20.Lori Fisler Damrosch, ed., Enforcing Restraint: Collective Intervention in Internal Conflicts (New York: Council on Foreign Relations Press, 1993).Google Scholar
- 22.Kim Gordon-Bates, “Challenging Inhumanity,” Crosslines Vol. 3(4) (December 1995/January 1996), p. 28.Google Scholar
- 27.Yves Sandoz, “To the Attention of National Societies,” (Geneva: ICRC, 29 November 1994), pp. 1–3.Google Scholar