“No Other Choice”: Pakistan’s Decision to Test the Bomb
On Monday, May 11, 1998, India’s prime minister, Atal Behari Vajpayee, stunned the world with his announcement that India had carried out three nuclear tests at its underground test facility at Pokhran in the Rajasthan desert, 550 kilometers southwest of New Delhi. Indian nuclear scientists claimed that one of the tests was of a thermonuclear device—a hydrogen bomb.Two days later, on May 13, a distraught international community was informed of two additional Indian underground nuclear tests.
KeywordsGross Domestic Product Prime Minister Nuclear Weapon Nuclear Test Ballistic Missile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abbas, Zaffar. 1998. “The Hardest Choice.” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (July/August).Google Scholar
- Albright, David. 1998. “The Shots Heard ‘Round the World.” Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist (July/August).Google Scholar
- Cheema, Zafar Iqbal. 1996. “Pakistan’s Nuclear Policies: Attitudes and Posture.” In Nuclear Non-Proliferation in India and Pakistan: South Asian Perspectives, ed. P. R. Chari, Pervaiz Iqbal Cheema, and Iftekharuzzaman. New Delhi: Monohar.Google Scholar
- “Clinton Mulls Incentives to Pakistan So It Won’t Test.” Chicago Tribune, May 18, 1998, chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/article/….
- Goldenberg, Suzanne. “Face-off with Pakistan: India Rattles Its Nuclear Sabre over Kashmir.” Guardian (UK), May 21, 1998.Google Scholar
- Gupta, Amit. 1998. “South Asian Nuclear Choices: What Type of Force Structures May Emerge?” Armed Forces Journal International (September).Google Scholar
- IISS. 1971. The Military Balance: 1971–1972 (annual yearbook). London: International Institute for Strategic Studies.Google Scholar
- IISS. 1997. The Military Balance: 1997–1998 (annual yearbook). London: International Institute for Strategic Studies.Google Scholar
- “India, Pakistan Continue War of Wills.” MSNBC, May 20, 1998, dailynews.yahoo.com/…/msnbc/….
- “Japanese Envoy Urges Pakistan to Avoid N-test.” CNN Interactive, May 18,1998, www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9805/18/….
- Khan, M. A., and Ezio Bonsignore. 1998. “India and Pakistan Towards Nuclear Power Status.” Military Technology (July).Google Scholar
- Koch, Andrew. 1996. “Report: Nuclear Testing in South Asia and the CTBT.” Nonproliferation Review 3(3). Monterey, CA: Monterey Institute of International Studies.Google Scholar
- Mintz, Alex, and Nehemia Geva. 1997. “The Poliheuristic Theory of Foreign Policy Decisionmaking.” In Decisionmaking on War and Peace: The Cognitive-Rational Debate, ed. Nehemia Geva and Alex Mintz. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- “New Tests Possible Soon: Pakistan Tests Five Nuclear Devices.” ABCNEWS.com, May 28, 1998, www.abcnews.com/sections/world/DailyNews/….
- “Pakistan All Set to Conduct N-test.” Times of India, May 15, 1998, dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/…/times-of-india/….
- “Pakistan Considers Response to Nuclear Tests.” BBC News, May 12, 1998, news.bbc.co.uk/….
- “Pakistan Holds Off on Nuclear Tests for Now.” CNN Interactive, May 19, 1998, www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9805/19/….
- “Pakistan Nuclear Test May Be Imminent.” MSNBC, May 27, 1998, dailynews.yahoo.com/…/msnbc/….
- “Pakistan Reportedly Gearing Up for Nuclear Test,” CNN Interactive, May 14, 1998, www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9805/14/pakistan.test.
- “Pakistan Says Its Nuclear Tests Necessary.” CNN Interactive, May 28, 1998, www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9805/28/….
- “Pakistan Set on Nuclear Test.” MSNBC, May 18, 1998, dailynews.yahoo.com/headlines/…/msnbc/….
- “Pakistan to Restrain Nuclear Test If Aided to Bring It in Balance with India.” India Daily, May 25, 1998, dailynews.yahoo.com/…/india—daily/….
- Sidhu, W. P. S. 1998a. “Pakistan Puts Its Nuclear Cards on the Table.” Jane’s Intelligence Review (July).Google Scholar
- Sidhu,W. P. S. 1998b. “High Price Exacted for Pakistan’s One-Upmanship.” Jane’s Intelligence Review (July).Google Scholar
- “Special Report: Pakistan Hardens Stance over N-tests.” BBC News, May 14, 1998, news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/special….
- “U.S. Offers Pakistan Arms Sales in Return for Nuclear Restraint.” CNN Interactive, May 15, 1998, www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9805/15/india.pakistan.
- “U.S.: Pakistani Leader Indicates Nuclear Test Is Imminent.” CNN Interactive, May 14, 1998, www.cnn.com/WORLD/asiapcf/9805/14/india.pakistan.
- Weiner, Tim. “Pakistan Test ‘Within Days.’” New York Times, May 15, 1998.Google Scholar