The Bridgettine Nuns of Syon Abbey
When Henry V founded a house of the Bridgettine order for women and men at Syon Abbey in 1415, he gave rise to an institution that still exists today. In the fifteenth and early sixteenth century this establishment exerts enormous influence in English monastic circles, drawing nuns from other English houses as well as attracting new monastic vocations. Simultaneously, the Syon priests establish a reputation for extraordinary levels of teaching and preaching.1 Extensive extant sources from Syon Abbey provide marvelous documentation of its medieval practices, allowing us to understand in great detail how they carry out St. Bridget’s vision of unceasing worship with a strong Marian focus.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.These readings are available in Sten Eklund, ed., Sancta Birgitta, Opera Minora II: Sermo Angelicvs (Uppsala: Almqvist and Wiksells, 1972). They areGoogle Scholar
- 9.Rebecca Krug, Reading Families: Women’s Literate Practice in Late Medieval England (Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2002), p. 157. Chapter 4 of this book is devoted to reading practices at Syon.Google Scholar