The United Nations and Africa: Redefining the UN’s role in Africa for the Twenty-first Century
My relatively wide experience of sub-Saharan Africa has essentially been as a practitioner rather than an academic. I first sailed from Southampton to Africa in October 1961 in order to work for thirteen months as a lay personal assistant to Archbishop Joost de Blank of Cape Town. During that period I was able to witness, study and live under the horrendous system of apartheid but I also made many enduring friendships with people of all races who, in their different ways, were either living within the system or actively opposing it. The Archbishop was very much a leading mouthpiece of opposition, who did a great deal to make the Anglican Church in South Africa (of which he was the leader), other denominations and the Church overseas face the realities of what was, in essence, a neo-Nazi philosophy of racial domination by a minority who adopted over 200 Acts of Parliament in the essentially Whites-only legislature which were of a directly discriminatory nature.
KeywordsCivil Society Security Council United Nations Development Programme Khmer Rouge United Nations Security Council
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anyang’ Nyong’o, P. (ed.) (1993) Arms and Daggers in the Heart of Africa (Nairobi, Kenya: Academy Science Publishers).Google Scholar
- Brittain, Victoria (1998) Death of Dignity (London: Pluto Press).Google Scholar
- Dualeh, Hussein Ali (1994) From Barre to Aideed (Nairobi, Kenya: Stellagraphics).Google Scholar
- Omar, Mohamed Osman (1992) The Road to Zero: Somalia’s Self-destruction (London: Haan Associates).Google Scholar
- Anonymous (1995) Rwanda: Not So Innocent — When Women Become Killers (London: African Rights).Google Scholar
- Sahnoun, Mohamed (1994) Somalia — the Missed Opportunities (Washington, DC: United States Institute of Peace).Google Scholar
- UN Secretary General (1998) The Causes of Conflict and the Promotion of Durable Peace and Sustainable Development in Africa: Report of the Secretary-General (New York: United Nations).Google Scholar
- UNDP, Human Development Report, series (New York: UNDP).Google Scholar
- UNICEF, The State of the World’s Children, series (New York: UNICEF).Google Scholar
The United Nations Blue Books Series: Volume VIII
- The United Nations and Somalia 1992–96 (1996) (New York: United Nations).Google Scholar
- The United Nations and Rwanda 1993–96 (1996) (New York: United Nations).Google Scholar