Advertisement

Louis VII’s Charter of 1144 for Saint-Denis and the Two Tabernacles of Abbot Suger

  • Thomas G. Waldman
  • William W. Clark
Part of the The New Middle Ages book series (TNMA)

Abstract

On June 11, 1144 the dedication of the new chevet of the abbey church of Saint-Denis, the translation of the bodies of the saints, and the consecration of the new altars, all took place in the presence of the king of France, Louis VII, his wife, Queen Eleanor, his mother, Adelaide de Maurienne, a number of archbishops, bishops, and magnates, as well as Abbot Suger and the monks of the abbey.1 Although the extensive building campaign envisaged by Suger was not completed,2 this great event, consisting of the three well-known, sequential ceremonies, was to be the culmination of the alterations and additions to the old church. It was also the last of the liturgies that recreated the bonds between the kings of France and their patron saint, Denis.3

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Notes

  1. 1.
    Erwin Panofsky, Abbot Suger on the Abbey Church of St.-Denis and Its Art Treasures, 2nd edn. (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1979);Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    See Sumner McKnight Crosby, The Royal Abbey of Saint-Denis from Its Beginnings to the Death of Suger, 475–1151, edited and completed by Pamela Z. Blum (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1987), pp. 267–77.Google Scholar
  3. 9.
    Elizabeth A.R. Brown, Saint-Denis, La Basilique (Saint-Léger-Vauban: Zodiaque, 2001), pp. 66–68.Google Scholar
  4. 19.
    Arthur Giry, Manuel de diplomatique (1894; repr. Paris: Hachette, 1972), p. 747.Google Scholar
  5. 20.
    Dom Michel Felibien, Histoire de l’abbaye royale de Saint-Denys en France (Paris: Frédéric Leonard, 1706).Google Scholar
  6. 21.
    Jules Tardif, Monuments historiques. Carton des rois (Paris: J. Claye, 1866), no. 469.Google Scholar
  7. 22.
    Manfred Groten, “Die Urkunde Karls des Grossen für St.-Denis von 813 (D 286), eine Fälschung Abt Sugers?” Historisches Jahrbuch 108 (1988): 1–36.Google Scholar
  8. 23.
    Françoise Gasparri, L’Ecriture des Actes de Louis VI, Louis VII et Philippe Auguste, Centre de Recherche d’histoire et de philologie de la IVe section de l’Ecole pratique des Hautes Etudes 5, Hautes Etudes Médiévales et Modernes 20 (Geneva: Droz, 1973), pp. 43–44.Google Scholar
  9. 51.
    Arthur G. Holder, trans., Bede, On the Tabernacle, Translated Texts for Historians 18 (Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 1994), p. 64.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  10. 54.
    Cf. Jean Leclercq, The Love of Learning and the Desire for God, 2nd edn. (New York: Fordham University Press, 1974), pp. 118–22.Google Scholar
  11. 56.
    Harvey Stahl, “The Problem of Manuscript Painting at Saint-Denis during the Abbacy of Suger,” in Abbot Suger and Saint-Denis, a Symposium, ed. Paula Lieber Gerson (New York: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1986), pp. 163–81, esp. 167–71.Google Scholar
  12. 59.
    R.-J. Hesbert, ed., Corpus Antiphonaliurn Offici. Vol. IT. Manuscripti Cursus Monasticus, Rerum ecclesiasticarum documenta, Series maior, Fontes 8 (Rome: Herder, 1965), no. 127a.Google Scholar
  13. 61.
    Jacqueline Frank and William W. Clark, “Abbot Suger and the Temple in Jerusalem: A New Interpretation of the Sacred Environment in the Royal Abbey of Saint-Denis,” in The Built Surface, 1, ed. Christy Anderson (Aldershot: Ashgate, 2002), pp. 109–29.Google Scholar
  14. 65.
    see Bruno Reudenbach, “Säule und Apostel,” Frühmittelalterliche Studien 14 (1980): 310–51.Google Scholar
  15. 66.
    see Anne Walters Robertson, The Service-Books of the Royal Abbey of Saint-Denis, Images of Ritual and Music in the Middle Ages (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1991), pp. 368–71.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Stephanie Hayes-Healy 2005

Authors and Affiliations

  • Thomas G. Waldman
  • William W. Clark

There are no affiliations available

Personalised recommendations