Model Repositories for Systems of Systems
In this chapter we discuss another modeling and simulation environment that supports both development and storage of families of DEVS models for Systems of Systems. Component-based System Modeler (CoSMo) is grounded in a unified logical, persistence, and visual model development concept. We show how you can develop; store, retrieve, and instantiate DEVS SoS models such as those for service oriented and cloud systems (Chaps. 14 and 15). We develop a unified concept supporting logical, visual, and persistence modeling and simulation framework (CoSMoS) which lends itself for data (XML-Schema) modeling and XML Schema code as well as cellular automata modeling. We show how the concept of SW/HW co-design for systems of systems fits seamlessly into the CoSMoS framework. While being based on the same underlying concepts of DEVS model construction, MS4 Me™ and CoSMoS offer somewhat different perspectives on support for SoS model construction.
KeywordsComposite Model Instance Model Entity Relation Template Model Network Interface Card
- CoSMoS (2009). Component-based system modeler and simulator. http://sourceforge.net/projects/cosmosim/.
- DEVS-Suite, DEVS-Suite Simulator (2009). http://devs-suitesim.sourceforge.net.
- Elamvazhuthi, V. (2008). Visual component-based system modeling with automated simulation data collection and observation. School of Computing, Information, and Decision Systems Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA. Google Scholar
- Fu, T.-S. (2002). Hierarchical modeling of large-scale systems using relational databases. Master’s Thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Arizona, AZ, USA. Google Scholar
- Hild, D. R., Sarjoughian, H. S., & Zeigler, B. P. (2001). DEVS-DOC: a modeling and simulation environment enabling distributed codesign. IEEE SMC Transactions-Part A, 32(1), 78–92. Google Scholar
- Hu, W. (2007). Visual and persistent co-design modeling for network systems. PhD Thesis, School of Computing, Information, and Decision Systems Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA. Google Scholar
- Hu, W., & Sarjoughian, H. S. (2007). A co-design modeling approach for computer network systems. In Winter simulation conference, Washington DC, USA, December (pp. 685–693). Google Scholar
- Kim, S., Sarjoughian, H. S., & Elamvazuthi, V. (2009). DEVS-suite: a simulator for visual experimentation and behavior monitoring. In High performance computing & simulation symposium, proceedings of the spring simulation conference, San Diego, CA, USA. 1–7 March. Google Scholar
- Sarjoughian, H. S. (2005). A scaleable component-based modeling environment supporting model validation. In Interservice/industry training, simulation, and education conference, Orlando, FL, USA (pp. 1–11). Google Scholar
- Sarjoughian, H. S., & Flasher, R. (2007). System modeling with mixed object and data models. In DEVS symposium, spring simulation multi-conference, Norfolk, VA, USA, April (199–206). Google Scholar
- Sarjoughian, H. S., & Elamvazhuthi, V. (2009). CoSMoS: a visual environment for component-based modeling, experimental design, and simulation. In 2nd international ICST conference on simulation tools and techniques, SIMUTools, Rome, Italy, 1–9 March. Google Scholar
- Sarjoughian, H. S., Sarkar, S., & Mayer, G. R. (2010). A novel visual CA modeling approach and its realization in CoSMoS. In Spring simulation conference, Orlando, FL, USA (pp. 67–70). Google Scholar
- Zeigler, B. P. (1984). Multifaceted modelling and discrete event simulation. San Diego: Academic Press. Google Scholar
- Zeigler, B. P., & Hammonds, P. E. (2007). Modeling & simulation-based data engineering: introducing pragmatics into ontologies for net-centric information exchange. San Diego: Academic Press. Google Scholar