Dynamic Structure: Agent Modeling and Publish/Subscribe
Dynamic structuring of models allows you can specify how models can change their structure during runtime. This chapter opens with a description of dynamic structure and its application to agent modeling. The Publish/Subscribe data distribution paradigm is described using dynamic structuring together with a Data Distribution Service that provides middleware based on this paradigm. We show how the DEVS Simulation Protocol for distributed simulation can be implemented in such middleware. We discuss how Publish/Subscribe topics support the exchange of DEVS protocol commands and DEVS messages. We also discussed how topics that are individualized to components are not as desirable as those that can be subscribed to by all components. Insight into the choice of topics is gained by considering the all and each coupling of multi-aspects.
KeywordsCouple Model Dynamic Structure Agent Modeling Smart Object Data Distribution Service
- Duboz, R., Versmisse, D., Quesnel, G., Muzzy, A., & Ramat, E. (2006). Specification of dynamic structure discrete event multiagent systems. In Agent-directed simulation (ADS 2006), Huntsville, AL, USA, April 2–6 2006. Google Scholar
- Douglass, S., & Mittal, S. (2012). A framework for modeling and simulation of the artificial. In A. Tolk (Ed.), Ontology, epistemology and teleology. Philosophical foundations for intelligent M&S, New York: Springer. Google Scholar
- Kwon, K.-J., Seo, C., & Zeigler, B. P. (2011). Automating DEVS over data distribution service for high performance and interoperability. In MS-DEVS ’11 proceedings of the 2011 symposium on theory of modeling & simulation: DEVS integrative M&S symposium (pp. 199–204). Google Scholar
- Muzy, A., de Lara, J., & Guerra, E. (2007). Designing PRIMA: a precise visual language for modeling with agents, in a physical environment. In Int. conf. on modeling, simulation & visualization methods (pp. 231–238). Google Scholar
- OMG (Object Management Group) Specification (2007). Data distribution service for real-time systems, version 1.2, formal/2007-01-01, http://www.omg.org/spec/DDS/1.2/PDF/.
- Seo, C., & Zeigler, B. P. (2012). Simulation model standardization through web services: interoperation and federation on the DEVS/SOA platform. In DEVS integrative M&S symposium, proceedings of the spring simulation conference, March 2012, Orlando, FL. Google Scholar
- Uhrmacher, A. M., & Kullick, B. G. (2000). “Plug and test”: software agents in virtual environments. In WSC ’00: proceedings of the 32nd conference on winter simulation (pp. 1722–1729). San Diego, CA, USA. Society for Computer Simulation International. Google Scholar