Elliptic PDEs for Geometric Design
This chapter deals with the use of elliptic PDEs for geometric design. The chapter introduces the common elliptic PDEs such as the Laplace equation and the Biharmonic equation and shows that they can be used as a tool for surface generation. This chapter also discusses the general elliptic PDEs for surface design. Solution schemes showing how to solve the chosen elliptic PDEs in analytic form is described. Several examples of surface generation using elliptic PDEs are also given in this chapter.
KeywordsLaplace Equation Surface Patch Klein Bottle Biharmonic Equation Remainder Function
- 5.Brigham EO (1988) The fast Fourier transform and its applications. Prentice Hall, New York Google Scholar
- 8.Greenberg M (1998) Advanced engineering mathematics. Prentice Hall, New York Google Scholar
- 11.Taubin G (1995) A signal processing approach to fair surface design. In: Computer Graphics Proceedings, pp 351–358. doi: 10.1145/218380.218473
- 13.Woodward CD (1987) Blends in geometric modelling. In: Martin RR (ed) Mathematical methods of surfaces II. Oxford University Press, London, pp 255–297 Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang JJ, You LH (2001) Surface representation using second fourth and mixed order partial differential equations. In: International conference on shape modeling and applications, Genova, Italy Google Scholar