Most medical education institutions across the globe come under regular review and accreditation by national and/or regional bodies. Well-known examples include the Australian Medical Council (AMC) in Australia, the General Medical Council (GMC) in the UK, and the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) in the USA. Preparing a medical institution for institutional review or accreditation can be challenging, requiring an understanding of the international standards being used, adequate resources, preparation, and planning. This book provides a practical guide for medical educators preparing their medical education program for independent review. Use of internationally accepted standards and how these standards “drive” the quality improvement agenda in medical education are described.
KeywordsMedical Education General Medical Council External Review Medical Education Program Quality Assurance Process
- 1.Cuban L. Change without reform: the case of Stanford University School of Medicine, 1908–1990. Am Educ Res J. 1997;34(1):83–122.Google Scholar
- 2.Association of American Medical Colleges. Physicians for the twenty-first century. The GPEP report: report of the Panel on the General Professional Education of the Physician and College Preparation for Medicine. Washington D.C.: Association of American Medical Colleges; 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.World Federation for Medical Education W. Basic medical education WFME global standards for quality improvement. In: WFME, editor. Copenhagen, Denmark: WFME Office, University of Copenhagen, Denmark; 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.Grant J, Marshall J, Gary N. Final report: quality improvement in basic medical education evaluation of the implementation in pilot sites of the World Federation for Medical Education’s International Standards; 2003.Google Scholar
- 7.General Medical Council G. Tomorrow’s doctors – outcomes and standards for undergraduate medical education. General Medical Council. 2009. Available from: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/tomorrows_doctors.asp. Cited 20 Feb 2012.
- 8.General Medical Council G. The trainee doctor – foundation and specialty, including GP training. General Medical Council, GMC. 2011. Available from: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/postgraduate/standards_and_guidance.asp. Cited 20 Feb 2012.
- 9.Liaison Committee on Medical Education. Standards for accreditation of medical education programs leading to the M.D. degree Liaison Committee on Medical Education. 2011. Available from: http://www.lcme.org/standard.htm. Cited 20 Feb 2012.