This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsAcute Appendicitis Carcinoid Tumor Pseudomyxoma Peritonei Goblet Cell Carcinoid Terminal Ileitis
- Allen DC, Cameron RI. Histopathology specimens. Clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Bosman FT, Carneiro F. WHO classification of tumours of the digestive system. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2010.Google Scholar
- Day DW, Jass JR, Price AB, Shepherd NA, Sloan JM, Talbot IC, Warren BF, Williams GT. Morson and Dawson’s gastrointestinal pathology. 4th ed. Oxford: Blackwell Science; 2003.Google Scholar
- Odze RD, Goldblum JR. Surgical pathology of the GI tract, liver, biliary tract and pancreas. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders/Elsevier; 2009.Google Scholar
- Riddell RH, Petras RE, Williams GT, Sobin LH. Tumors of the intestines, Atlas of tumor pathology, vol. 3rd series. Fascicle 32. Washington: AFIP; 2003.Google Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists. Cancer datasets (oesophageal carcinoma, gastric carcinoma, carcinomas of the pancreas, ampulla of vater and common bile duct, colorectal cancer, gastrointestinal stromal tumours (GISTs), liver resection specimens and liver biopsies for primary and metastatic carcinoma, endocrine tumours of the gastrointestinal tract including pancreas) and tissue pathways (gastrointestinal and pancreatobiliary pathology, liver biopsies for the investigation of medical disease and for focal liver lesions). Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254. Accessed on December 2011.