Lymph Nodes, Spleen, and Bone Marrow
This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary of core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsAnaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma Hairy Cell Leukemia White Pulp Megaloblastic Anemia Trephine Biopsy
- Allen DC, Cameron RI. Histopathology specimens: clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Braunwald E, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Longo DL, Jameson JL, editors. Harrison’s principles of internal medicine, vol. 1. 17th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2008. p. 353–68.Google Scholar
- Adamson JW, Longo DL. Anaemia and polycythemia.Google Scholar
- Konkle BA. Bleeding and thrombosis.Google Scholar
- Henry PH, Longo DL. Enlargement of the lymph nodes and spleen.Google Scholar
- Holland SM, Gallin JI. Disorders of granulocytes and monocytes.Google Scholar
- Brunning RD, Arber DA. Bone marrow. Chapter 23. In: Rosai J, editor. Rosai and Ackerman’s surgical pathology. 10th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2011.Google Scholar
- Chan JKC. Tumours of the lymphoreticular system, including spleen and thymus. In: Fletcher CDM, editor. Diagnostic histopathology of tumours, vol. 2. 3rd ed. London: Harcourt; 2007. p. 1139–310.Google Scholar
- Hall JG. The functional anatomy of lymph nodes. In: Stansfield AG, d’ Ardenne AJ, editors. Lymph node biopsy interpretation. 2nd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1992. p. 3–28.Google Scholar
- O’Malley DP, George TI, Orazi A, editors. Benign and reactive conditions of lymph node and spleen. Washington DC: ARP Press; 2009.Google Scholar
- Rosai J. Lymph nodes, spleen. Chapter 22. In: Rosai J, editor. Rosai and Ackerman’s surgical pathology. 10th ed. St. Louis: Elsevier; 2011.Google Scholar
- Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, Thiele J, Vardiman JW. WHO classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics. Tumours of haemopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon: IARC Press; 2008.Google Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists. Minimum dataset for the histopathological reporting of lymphoma and tissue pathways for lymph node, spleen and bone marrow trephine biopsy specimens. Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254. Accessed on December 2011.