This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsSeminal Vesicle Bladder Tumor Urothelial Carcinoma Interstitial Cystitis Granular Cell Tumor
- Allen DC, Cameron RI. Histopathology specimens: clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Bostwick DG, Cheng L. Urologic surgical pathology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier; 2008.Google Scholar
- Eble JN, Sauter G, Epstein JI, Sesterhenn IA. WHO classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics. Tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- Lopez-Beltran A, Algaba F, Berney DM, Boccon-Gibod L, Camparo P, Griffiths D, Mikuz G, Montironi R, Varma M, Egevad L. Handling and reporting of transurethral resection specimens of the bladder in Europe: a web-based survey by the European Network of Uropathology (ENUP). Histopathology. 2011;58:579–85.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Paner GP, et al. Diagnostic utility of antibody to smoothelin in the distinction of muscularis propria from muscularis mucosae of the urinary bladder: a potential ancillary tool in the pathologic staging of invasive urothelial carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33(1):91–8.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists. Cancer datasets (adult renal parenchymal cancer, renal tumours in childhood, penile cancer, prostatic carcinoma, testicular tumours and post-chemotherapy residual masses, tumours of the urinary collecting system) and tissue pathways (medical renal biopsies, urological pathology). Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254.
- Wittekind C, Greene L, Hutter RVP, Klimfinger M, Sobin LH. TNM atlas: illustrated guide to the TNM/pTNM classification of malignant tumours. 5th ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2005.Google Scholar