Kidney, Renal Pelvis, and Ureter
This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsRenal Cell Carcinoma Renal Tumor Partial Nephrectomy Renal Pelvis Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Allen DC, Cameron RI. Histopathology specimens: clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Bostwick DG, Cheng L. Urologic surgical pathology. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Mosby/Elsevier; 2008.Google Scholar
- D’Agati VD, Jennette JC, Silva FG. Non-neoplastic kidney diseases. Atlas of nontumor pathology. Washington: AFIP; 2005.Google Scholar
- Eble JN, Sauter G, Epstein JI, Sesterhenn IA. WHO classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics. Tumours of the urinary system and male genital organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- MB. Diagnostic pathology: genitourinary: Amirsys® (Diagnostic pathology series); 2010.Google Scholar
- Shah RB, Bakshi N, Hafez K, Wood DP, Kunju LP. Image-guided biopsy in the evaluation of renal mass lesions in contemporary urological practice: indications, adequacy, clinical impact and limitations of the pathological diagnosis. Histopathology. 2005;36:1309–15.Google Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists. Cancer datasets (adult renal parenchymal cancer, renal tumours in childhood, penile cancer, prostatic carcinoma, testicular tumours and post-chemotherapy residual masses, tumours of the urinary collecting system) and tissue pathways (medical renal biopsies, urological pathology). Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254. Accessed on December 2011.
- Wittekind C, Greene L, Hutter RVP, Klimfinger M, Sobin LH. TNM atlas: illustrated guide to the TNM/pTNM classification of malignant tumours. 5th ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2005.Google Scholar