This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsCervical Cancer Human Papilloma Virus Local Excision Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia Pelvic Lymph Node
- Allen DC. Histopathology reporting. Guidelines for surgical cancer. London: Springer; 2006.Google Scholar
- Allen DC, Cameron RI. Histopathology specimens: clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Fox H, Wells M, editors. Haines and Taylor: obstetrical and gynaecological pathology. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2003.Google Scholar
- Histopathology reporting in cervical screening. NHSCSP publication, No 10; Dec 2011.Google Scholar
- Kurman RJ, Norris HJ, Wilkinson E. Tumors of the cervix, vagina and vulva. In: Atlas of tumor pathology, 3rd series. Fascicle 4. Washington: AFIP; 1992.Google Scholar
- Robboy SJ, Bentley RC, Russell R, Anderson MC, Mutter GL, Prat J. Pathology of the female reproductive tract. 2nd ed. London: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier; 2009.Google Scholar
- Tavassoli F, Devilee P. WHO classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics. Tumours of the breast and female genital organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2003.Google Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists and the NHS Cervical Screening Programme. Cancer datasets (vulval neoplasms, cervical neoplasia, endometrial cancer, uterine sarcomas, neoplasms of the ovaries and fallopian tubes and primary carcinoma of the peritoneum), and tissue pathways for gynaecological pathology. Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254. Accessed date Dec 2011.
- Wittekind C, Greene L, Hutter RVP, Klimfinger M, Sobin LH. TNM atlas: illustrated guide to the TNM/pTNM classification of malignant tumours. 5th ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2005.Google Scholar