This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsSalivary Gland Parotid Gland Submandibular Gland Pleomorphic Adenoma Minor Salivary Gland
- Allen DC, Cameron RI, editors. Histopathology specimens: clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Ellis G, Auclair PL. Tumors of the salivary glands, Atlas of tumor pathology, vol. 4th series. Fascicle 9. Washington: AFIP; 2006.Google Scholar
- Gnepp DR, editor. Diagnostic surgical pathology of the head and neck. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2009.Google Scholar
- Shah JP, Patel SG. Head and neck surgery and oncology. 3rd ed. Edinburgh: Mosby; 2003.Google Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists. Head and neck tissues – cancer datasets (head and neck carcinomas and salivary neoplasms, parathyroid cancer, thyroid cancer) and tissue pathways (head and neck pathology, endocrine pathology). Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254. Accessed on December 2011.