This chapter outlines the anatomy, clinical presentation, and relevant clinical investigations. Details of both non-neoplastic and neoplastic pathological conditions affecting this organ site are given. Clinical considerations in obtaining the diagnostic biopsy and therapeutic resection specimens are outlined, with details of their handling and dissection in the histopathology laboratory. This is correlated with relevant histopathology reports, giving summary core prognostic and patient management items. Current WHO and TNM classifications are referenced.
KeywordsSentinel Node Sentinel Node Biopsy Needle Core Biopsy Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology Phyllode Tumor
- Allen DC, Cameron RI. Histopathology specimens: clinical, pathological and laboratory aspects. 1st ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2004.Google Scholar
- Dixon M. ABC of breast diseases. 2nd ed. London: BMJ books; 2000.Google Scholar
- Elston CW, Ellis IO, editors. The breast. Systemic pathology, vol. 13. 3rd ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1998.Google Scholar
- Guidelines for non-operative diagnostic procedures and reporting in breast cancer screening. Non-operative diagnosis subgroup of the National Coordinating Group for breast screening pathology. NHSBSP publication no 50; 2001.Google Scholar
- Institute of Biomedical Science/The Royal College of Pathologists. IBMS guidance to candidates and trainers for advanced specialist diploma in breast pathology dissection. Accessed at http://www.rcpath/org/index.asp?PageID=1664. Accessed on December 2011.
- Pathology reporting of breast disease: a joint document incorporating the third edition of the NHS Breast Screening Programme Guidelines for pathology reporting in breast cancer screening and the second edition of the Royal College of Pathologists Minimum dataset for breast cancer histopathology. NHSBSP publication No 58: 2005. Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=695
- Rosen PP. Rosen’s breast pathology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2009.Google Scholar
- Rosen PP, Obermann HA. Tumors of the mammary gland. Atlas of tumor pathology, 3rd series. Fascicle 7. Washington DC: AFIP: 1993.Google Scholar
- Tavassoli F, Devilee P. WHO classification of tumors. Tumors of the breast and female genital organs. Lyon: IARC Press; 2003.Google Scholar
- The Royal College of Pathologists. Breast cancer dataset and tissue pathways. Accessed at http://www.rcpath.org/index.asp?PageID=254
- Wittekind C, Greene L, Hutter RVP, Klimfinger M, Sobin LH. TNM Atlas: illustrated guide to the TNM/pTNM classification of malignant tumors. 5th ed. Berlin/Heidelberg: Springer; 2005.Google Scholar