Telenursing in Korea
Development of science and information and telecommunications technology has gradually improved our quality of life. With the health service market being no exception, greater attention is being given to the application of information and communication technology by health-care providers aiming to provide more detailed, customized and personalized health-care services in an efficient and effective manner. One such method is telenursing, which refers to the use of telecommunication technology in nursing to enhance patient care.7 Through this system, nurses monitor patients’ data and analyze their condition, and then suggest nursing advice which will potentially enhance patients’ ability to achieve and maintain their health and wellness.
KeywordsTelecommunication Technology Nursing Advice Quality Health Service Public Health Information Enhance Patient Care
Gross Domestic Product
Personal Digital Assistant
Information and communication technology.
- 1.Cho HS. The Effects of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Nursing Program for Chronic Mental Inpatients of Long-Term Psychiatric Hospital [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Busan: Graduate School of Kosin University; 2004.Google Scholar
- 2.Chung HJ. Hemodialysis nursing education program using web-based learning system. Nurs Tamgu. 2000;9(1):146-166.Google Scholar
- 3.Chung ES, Jeong IS, Song MG. Development and effect analysis of web-based instruction program to prevent elementary school students from safety accidents. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2004;34(3):485-494.Google Scholar
- 7.International Council of Nurses. Telenursing. Available at: http://www.icn.ch/matters_telenursing.htm. Accessed March 28, 2010.
- 8.Internet Use Survey. Statistics at a glance. 2010. Available at: http://isis.nic.or.kr. Accessed November 30, 2010.
- 10.Kim IS. Applying telemedicine in nursing. Korean J Nursi Query. 2000;9(1):46-69.Google Scholar
- 11.Kim HS. Effects of web-based diabetic education in obese diabetic patients. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2005;35(5):924-930.Google Scholar
- 12.Kim JS. Development and evaluation of a web-based support program for the maternal role of primiparas. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2005;35(1):165-176.Google Scholar
- 13.Kim AS. Effects of Individualized Education and Telephone Calls on Health Behavior and Nursing Service Satisfaction of Hypertension Patient in Ambulatory Setting [Unpublished master dissertation]. Jeon-Ju: Graduate School of Chonbuk National University; 2004.Google Scholar
- 14.Kim HS, Kim SK. Effects of Internet-based diabetic education on plasma glucose and serum lipids in female type 2 diabetic patients. Korean J Women Health Nurs. 2004;10(4):311-317.Google Scholar
- 15.Kim AS, Lee ES, Kim SH. Effects of telephone intervention as supportive nursing on self-care practices and quality of life for gynecological cancer patients under chemotherapy. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2007;37(5):744-753.Google Scholar
- 17.Lee HJ, Kim KR, Kim JS, et al. Effects of the problem-solving telephone counseling on caregiving appraisal and coping in family caregivers of the older adults with dementia. J Korean Gerontol Sci. 2004;24(1):21-36.Google Scholar
- 18.Lee KL, Yang S. Effects of telephone interview for chronic mentally ill persons on psychiatric symptoms and daily living activities. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2006;15(4):482-490.Google Scholar
- 19.Park MH. Development and evaluation of online aging and health management education for undergraduate students. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2007;37(4):540-548.Google Scholar
- 20.Park SH, Koh HJ. Effect of breast-feeding education and follow-up care on the breast-feeding rate and the breast-feeding method-focused on home visit and phone counseling. Korean J Women Health Nurs. 2001;7(1):30-43.Google Scholar
- 22.Ryu SW. Telemedicine: Trends and Issues. Seoul: Korea Institute for Health and Social Welfare; 2002.Google Scholar
- 23.Song JH, Han KJ, Oh KS, et al. Analysis of telephone counseling service on child health. Korean J Child Health Nurs. 2001;7(2):245-257.Google Scholar
- 24.Song MG, Kim SJ. Development and effect analysis of web-based instruction program on safety for sixth grade elementary school students. J Korean Acad Child Health Nurs. 2006;12(2):233-243.Google Scholar
- 25.Yoo EK, Kim MH, Seo WS. A study on the rate of breast-feeding practice by education and continuous telephone follow-up. Korean J Women Health Nurs. 2002;8(3):424-434.Google Scholar
- 26.Yu JO, Cho YB. The effect of an Internet community on knowledge, self-efficacy and self care behavior in workers with hypertension. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2005;35(7):1258-1267.Google Scholar