Decision Support Infrastructure: Workflows and Service-Oriented Architectures
Attempts to use Arden Syntax for complex guidelines, such as that of Sailors et al.1 discussed earlier, revealed the poor fit of the Arden model for a problem that it was not originally intended to address, as indicated by the numerous workarounds necessary to create an operational implementation. This and other similar experiences have motivated several research efforts which intend to address these limitations.
KeywordsEnterprise Resource Planning Business Process Execution Language Rule Engine Enterprise Resource Planning Implementation Enterprise Resource Planning Package
- 1.Sailors RM, Bradshaw RL, East TD. Moving arden syntax outside of the (Alert) box: a paradigm for supporting multi-step clinical protocols. AMIA Fall symposium, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.Taylor FW. Principles of Scientific Management. [cited 11/1/10]; Available from: http://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/economics/taylor/index.htm, 1911.
- 3.Bell A. DOA with SOA. ACM Queue. 2007;5(1):54-56Google Scholar
- 5.Lindquist C. A new blueprint for IT (editorial). CIO Magazine. 2005.Google Scholar
- 6.Wikipedia. Mars Climate Orbiter. [cited 4/10/10]; Available from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter, 2010.
- 7.University of Tennessee Knoxville. HPC Challenge. Latency and Bandwidth results. 2010 [cited 11/2/10]; Available from: http://icl.cs.utk.edu/hpcc/hpcc_results_lat_band.cgi?display=opt, June 2010.
- 8.Burton K. Ethernet Latency: the hidden performance killer.[cited 10/1/10]; Available from: http://feedblog.org/2006/11/26/ethernet-latency-the-hidden-performance-killer/, 2006.
- 9.Chappell D. The Workflow Way: Understanding Windows Workflow Foundation [cited; Available from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd851337.aspx, 2009.
- 10.Fehrea K, Mandl H, Adlassnig KP. Service-oriented, arden-syntax-based clinical decision support MEDINFO. Cape Town: IMIA; 2010.Google Scholar
- 11.White SA. Process Modeling Notations and Workflow Patterns.[cited 10/1/10]; Available from: http://www.bpmn.org/Documents/Notations_and_Workflow_Patterns.pdf, 2006.
- 12.Ford N. SOA and the Tarpit of Irrelevancy.[cited 10/2/10]; Available from: www.infoq.com/news/2009/02/TarpitofIrrelevancy/, 2006.
- 13.Microsoft Corporation. How to Create a Workflow.[cited 8/8/10]; Available from: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd489437.aspx, 2008.
- 14.Manageability.com. Open-source workflow engines written in Java.[cited 9/2/10]; Available from: http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/workflow_in_java, 2009.
- 15.Vadaparty K. Multithreaded parallelism in windows workflow foundation. MSDN Magazine. 2008.Google Scholar