Challenges in Electronic Decision Support Implementation
The previous chapter considered the various kinds of alerts. I now discuss how these can be implemented, and explore the issues related to standardization – more precisely, the lack of it. The presence of standards allows sharing of intellectual effort, so no one can be opposed to it in principle. However, while standardization has been enforced in many areas of biomedicine, standardization efforts in decision support have not been very successful to date. Let us first look at one of the root sources of the problem: namely, no one can mandate that all EMRs be built exactly alike.
KeywordsUnify Modeling Language Database Schema Narrative Text Physical Schema Subroutine Library
- 1.Wang D. Knowledge representation with Arden. [cited 9/1/10]; Available from: http://people.dbmi.columbia.edu/homepages/wandong/KR/krarden.html. 2004.
- 2.Jenders RA, Sujansky W, Broverman CA, Chadwick M. Towards improved knowledge sharing: assessment of the HL7 reference information model to support medical logic module queries. AMIA Fall Symposium, 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.McConnell S. Code Complete. 2nd ed. Redmond: Microsoft Press; 2004.Google Scholar
- 7.Sailors RM, Bradshaw RL, East TD. Moving Arden Syntax outside of the (alert) box: a paradigm for supporting multi-step clinical protocols. AMIA Fall symposium 1998; 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.Pryor TA, Hripcsak G. Sharing MLM’s: an experiment between Columbia-Presbyterian and LDS hospital. Proc Annu Symp Comput Appl Med Care 1993: Washington DC; 1993:399–403.Google Scholar
- 10.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National guideline clearinghouse [cited 11/2/10]; Available from: www.guideilne.gov. 2010.
- 11.The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Ovulation induction in polycystic ovary syndrome. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010;111(1):95-100.Google Scholar
- 15.Turner R, Dufour J-C, Bouvenot J, Ambrosi P, Fieschi D, Fieschi M. Textual guidelines versus computable guidelines: a comparative study in the framework of the PRESGUID project in order to appreciate the impact of guideline format on physician compliance. AMIA Annu Symposium 2006; 2006:219–223.Google Scholar
- 16.First Databank. First Databank [cited 11/1/10]; Available from: http://www.firstdatabank.com/. 2010.
- 17.Health Language Inc. Health language [cited 11/1/10]; Available from: http://www.healthlanguage.com. 2010.
- 18.Multum Corporation. The VantageRx database [cited 6/8/09]; Available from www.multum.com/VantageRxDB.htm. 2009.
- 19.Health Level 7 Virtual medical record [cited 11/3/10]; Available from http://wiki.hl7.org/index.php?title=Virtual_Medical_Record_(vMR). 2010.