Representing Structured Clinical Data
Like ERP applications, EMR systems need to interface with a wide variety of third-party software, and they may even interface with ERP applications for areas such as accounting and inventory. However, in terms of database design, their complexity is of a different type. Specifically, an EMR’s customers will demand the need to capture new kinds of data that may not have existed at the time the EMR was purchased. We consider a couple of these situations.
KeywordsElectronic Medical Record Narrative Text Database Engine Bitmap Index Modern Programming Language
- 1.Wikipedia. B+ tree. 2010 [cited 3/2/2010]; Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%2B_tree.
- 2.Wikipedia. Hash table. 2010 [cited 3/2/2010]; Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hash_table.
- 3.Wikipedia. Bitmap index. 2010 [cited 3/2/2010]; Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitmap_index.
- 5.Wikipedia. MUMPS programming language. 2010 [cited 4/10/10]; Available from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUMPS.Google Scholar
- 8.CAV Systems Ltd. JUMPS: Java/RDBMS from MUMPS. 2008 [cited 11/1/10]; Available from: http://www.mumps-migration.com/
- 9.Kirsten W, Ihringer M, Kuhn M, Rohrig B. Object-oriented application development using the caché postrelational database. Berlin: Springer; 2003.Google Scholar
- 10.Wikipedia. Mariner 1. 2010 [cited 10/3/10]; Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_1