What Is Metadata?
The one-phrase definition of “metadata” – “data about data” – is too broad to have practical value. However, the uses of metadata itself across all of computing, and the ways in which it is represented, are so numerous and diverse that it would be hard to find two practitioners who think about it in exactly the same terms. An inspection of Wikipedia’s article on the subject,1 especially the accompanying discussion, will make it clear that the topic has grown to the point where its editors believe that the article has become too large and unwieldy – and yet it barely touches on the themes that are of specific relevance to this book.
KeywordsGraphical User Interface Electronic Medical Record System Structure Query Language Data Catalog Electronic Patient Record System
- 1.Wikipedia. Metadata. 2009 [cited 8/1/09]; Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/metadata.
- 2.Marco D. Building and Managing the Metadata Repository. New York: Wiley; 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Zimmer B. On language: we. The New York Times. 2010.Google Scholar
- 5.Melton J, Simon AR, Gray J. SQL 1999: Understanding Relational Language Components. San Mateo: Morgan Kaufman; 2001.Google Scholar
- 6.Martin J. Computer Data-base Organization. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall; 1977.Google Scholar
- 7.Martin J. Application Development without Programmers. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall; 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Wikipedia. King Camp Gillette (biography). 2009 [cited 8/1/09]; Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Camp_Gillette.
- 9.Health Level Seven Inc. HL7 Standard V2.3.1. Ann Arbor: Health Level Seven Inc; 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Kimball R, Reeves L, Ross M, Thornthwaite W. The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit: Expert Methods for Designing, Developing, and Deploying Data Warehouses. New York: Wiley; 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.McConnell S. Table-driven Methods. In: Code Complete. 2nd ed. Redmond: Microsoft; 2004.Google Scholar
- 12.Chapin N. An introduction to decision tables. Data Process Manag Assoc Q. 1967;6(3):2-33.Google Scholar
- 13.Levine JR, Mason T, Brown D. Lex & Yacc. Sebastopol: O’Reilly & Associates; 1992.Google Scholar
- 14.Bellman R. Dynamic Programming. Princeton: Princeton University Press; 1957. Dover paperback edition (2003).Google Scholar
- 19.Wall L, Christiansen T, Orwant J. Programming Perl. 3rd ed. Sebastopol: O’Reilly; 2000.Google Scholar