Risk Importance Measures
Quantitative information about the role that the components of a system play with respect to its risk, safety, reliability and availability is of great practical aid to system designers and operators. Indeed, the identification of which components mostly contribute to the system failure behavior allows one to trace system design bottlenecks and provides guidelines for effective operation and maintenance actions for system performance improvement.
KeywordsBasic Event Importance Measure Exceedance Measure Common Mode Failure System Failure Probability
The Author would like to thank Dr. Luca Podofillini of the Paul Scherrer Institute, Switzerland, for the preparation of the material and in particular for contributing to the development of the work related to Examples 6 and 7 and Mr. Michele Compare for contributing to the development of Chap. 14. Finally, many thanks go to Mrs. Lucia Golea for assisting in the preparation of the manuscript.
- 6.Baraldi P, Zio E, Compare M (2008) Importance measures in presence of uncertainties. In: Proceedings of SSARS 2008, Gdańsk/Sopot, PolandGoogle Scholar
- 7.Birnbaum LW (1969) On the importance of different elements in a multi-element system. Multivariate analysis, vol 2. Academic Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 11.Elsayed EA (1996) Reliability engineering. Addison Wesley Longman, EnglandGoogle Scholar
- 16.Høyland A, Rausand M (1994) System reliability theory: models and statistical methods. Wiley, NJGoogle Scholar
- 23.Modarres M (2006) Risk analysis in engineering: probabilistic techniques, tools and trends. CRC Press, USAGoogle Scholar
- 27.Wash-1400 (NUREG 75/014) (1975) Reactor safety study: an assessment of accident risks in US. Commercial Nuclear Power Plants, Appendix 2, Fault TreesGoogle Scholar
- 30.Zio E (2007) An introduction to the basics of reliability and risk analysis, Series in quality, reliability and engineering statistics, vol. 13, World Scientific, SingaporeGoogle Scholar
- 32.Zio E, Podofillini L (2004) A second-order differential importance measure for reliability and risk applications, SAMO, Sensitivity Analysis of Model Output, March 8–11, 2004, Santa Fe. Available on CD-romGoogle Scholar
- 33.Zio E, Marella M, Podofillini L (2004) A comparison of different importance measures for multistate systems, MMR, mathematical methods in reliability, June 21–25, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USAGoogle Scholar