The Epidemiology of Diabetes in Older People
The prevalence of diabetes increases into older age in both men and women  (Fig. 1.1). This is of considerable concern in the context of the UK’s ageing population. Diabetes is a major health problem in the elderly, contributing to both increased morbidity and mortality, and increasing substantially the demand an elderly population makes on the health care system .
KeywordsElderly Individual Oral Glucose Tolerance Test Diabetes Prevalence Undiagnosed Diabetes South Asian Woman
- 3.APHO. APHO Diabetes Prevalence Model: Key findings for England: YHPHO2010 June 2010.Google Scholar
- 5.Office for National Statistics. Ageing. Fastest increase in the oldest old. 2010 [cited 2011 14 April]; Available from: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?ID=949.
- 6.Office for National Statistics. National Population Projections. 2009 [cited 2011 14 April]; Available from: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBASE/Product.asp?vlnk=8519.
- 7.Rees P. Ethnic Population Projections: Review and Illustration of Issues. 2007 [cited 2011 14 April]; Available from: http://www.ccsr.ac.uk/events/segint/workshops/documents/PhilReesEthnicPopulationProjectionsCCSRworkshop.pdf.
- 10.Hayes L, Hawthorne G, Unwin N. Undiagnosed diabetes in the over-60s: performance of the APHO diabetes prevalence model in a general practice. Diabetic Medicine. 2011 (in press).Google Scholar
- 13.Holman NF, N.G. Goyder, E., Wild SH. The Association of Public Health Observatories (APHO) Diabetes Prevalence Model: estimates of total diabetes prevalence for England, 2010–2030. Diabet Med 2011;Accepted Article; doi: 10.1111/j.1464-5491.2010.03216.x.
- 15.The Information Centre. National Diabetes Audit 2004/5. Leeds: The Information Centre 2006.Google Scholar
- 21.Health Survey for England. Health Survey for England 2004: The Health of Minority Ethnic Groups. London: Department of Health 2004 6 March 2007.Google Scholar
- 22.Kumari M, Head J, Marmot M. Prospective study of social and other risk factors for incidence of type 2 diabetes in the Whitehall II study. Arch Intern Med. 2004 27;164:1873–80.Google Scholar
- 30.World Health Organization and International Diabetes Federation. Definition, diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus and its complications. Geneva: WHO1999.Google Scholar
- 37.Kanaya AM, Herrington D, Vittinghoff E, Lin F, Bittner V, Cauley JA, et al. Impaired fasting glucose and cardiovascular outcomes in postmenopausal women with coronary artery disease. Summary for patients in Ann Intern Med. 2005:142:813–820Google Scholar
- 38.DECODE Study Group. Will new diagnostic criteria for diabetes mellitus change phenotype of patients with diabetes? Reanalysis of European epidemiological data. DECODE Study Group on behalf of the European Diabetes Epidemiology Study Group. BMJ. 1998;317:371–5.Google Scholar