Estimation of Damage to Equipment Caused by Blast Waves by Means of Fuzzy Sets
The present study focused on the development of fuzzy models for the estimation of damage to chemical process equipment caused by blast waves generated by explosions, in the framework of quantitative risk analysis. Available literature data on blast wave damage to plant equipment were retrieved and analyzed. Fuzzy sets were developed considering the peak overpressure as the main parameter in the blast-equipment interaction. The fuzzy approach proved to be valuable in coping with the relevant uncertainty of literature data for blast wave damage.
KeywordsMembership Function Loss Intensity Blast Wave Damage State Decision Table
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Salzano, E., Cozzani, V. The use of probit functions in the quantitative risk assessment of domino accidents caused by overpressure, ESREL 2003, Maastricht, NL.Google Scholar
- 2.Cozzani, V., Salzano, E. The quantitative assessment of domino effect caused by overpressure. Part I: probit models. J. Haz. Mat. In press.Google Scholar
- 3.Dubois, D., Prade, H.F. Fuzzy sets and systems, Mathematics in science and engineering, 144, Academic Press, 1980.Google Scholar
- 5.HAZUS Earthquake Loss Estimation Methodology, National Institute of Building Sciences, Risk Management Solutions, Menlo Park, California, (USA).Google Scholar
- 7.Lees, F.P. Loss Prevention in the process industries, II ed. Oxford (UK): Butterworth-Heinemann, 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.Glasstone, S., Dolan, P.J., The effects of nuclear weapons, 3rd ed., US Dep. Of Defence and Energy Research and Development Administration, 1977.Google Scholar