Collection and Utilisation of Accident Data within the Norwegian Fishing Fleet
This paper presents a problem description and a working strategy to obtain a good quality accident database for the Norwegian fishing fleet. Current collection and utilisation of accident information is reviewed in light of the needs and expectations from the different parties involved. The authorities have a mandatory role to monitor and control occupational risks, while the fishing companies and various related organisations are focusing on hazard prevention and improved safety management.
KeywordsFishing Vessel Fishing Boat Occupational Accident Fishing Fleet Accident Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sandtorv H.A & Corneliussen C. Problems and Solutions with the Collection of Reliability Data from different Data Sources, Proceedings at the ESREL 99 conference in Munich, Germany.Google Scholar
- 3.The Norwegian Maritime Directorate. Risk data reflecting the Norwegian fishery in the period 1998-2002, prepared by Halvard Aasjord (SINTEF)Google Scholar
- 4.Aasjord H. Occupational Accidents and Injuries among Norwegian Fishermen, Proceedings at the First International Symposium on Occupational Safety and Health among Employees in the Fish Industry, Færoe Islands, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Abraham P.P. International comparison of occupational injuries among commercial fishers of selected northern countries and regions, Barents Newsletter on Occup. Health and Safety 2001, 4, pg 24–28.Google Scholar
- 6.Sunde A.F & Aasjord H. Factors and Causes behind Serious Accidents in the Norwegian Fishing Fleet, paper at the IFISH-I conference in Boston, 2000.Google Scholar