A GIS based Approach to Environmental Vulnerability
The paper proposes a method for assessing the environmental vulnerability in the surroundings of a hazardous establishment based on the use of Geographical Information Systems (GIS). This approach uses GIS data to identify and quantify the presence of the different environmental targets in the study area and probit functions derived from consequence analysis to assess the vulnerability of each target to the hazards as a function of their distance from the site. Vulnerability maps can be rapidly obtained for each environmental target, which may be combined, assigning proper weights to each element, to get the overall environmental vulnerability.
KeywordsGeographical Information System Environmental Target Environmental Element Emission Point Environmental Vulnerability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Council Directive 96/82/EC. On the control of major accident hazards involving dangerous substances. Official Journal of the European Community 1996; L 10, 14.1.1997:13–33.Google Scholar
- 4.Italian Ministry for the Environment and the World Health Organization (WHO). Rapid Environment and Health Risk Assessment (REHRA), 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.Centre for Chemical Process Safety. Guidelines for chemical process quantitative risk analysis. AIChE, New York, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Tsao CK, Perr WW. Modifications to the vulnerability model: a simulation system for assessing damage resulting from marine spills. 1979. Report CG-D-38-79 U.S. Coast GuardGoogle Scholar
- 7.Guidi G, Ludovisi G, Mazzarotta B. Methodological approach for the evaluation, in economic terms, of the risk from industrial plants subject to Council Directive 96/82/EC (Seveso II). Safety & Reliability, Zio E, Demichela M, Piccinini N. Eds. 2001, Vol. 1, 521-528, Torino.Google Scholar
- 8.Annoni A, Cumer A. Progetto Corine L and Cover: 1e mappe delle regioni italiane, Atti 7° Conv. Naz. AIT, Telerilevamento, GIS e cartografia al Servizio dell’Informazione Territoriale, 1995, Ed. XEA.Google Scholar
- 9.ISTAT. 13° Censimento generale della popolazione e delle abitazioni. 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.TeleAtlas. RoadNet for Arc/Info. 1996. TeleAtlas BV.Google Scholar