PSA for the Replacement Research Reactor
A Probabilistic Safety Assessment (PSA) was performed for the Australian Replacement Research Reactor (RRR) as a complement to its Preliminary Safety Analyses. The RRR is presently being built at Lucas Heights, Australia, and should become critical by 2005. Since this PSA was developed in parallel with the basic engineering phase of the RRR, the preliminary results were used as input to the design process, thus permitting improvements to be made to the design, and resulting in a very low residual risk.
The scope for the present PSA is a Level I PSA with certain Level III considerations. The PSA includes consideration of all envisaged operation modes of the RRR, and all expected radiation sources that may exist in the plant.
KeywordsSeismic Event Fault Tree Hazard Curve Accident Scenario Core Damage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.1. Nureg/Cr-2300, Pra Procedures Guide, Nrc, 1983, pp. 3-21.Google Scholar
- 2.Iaea-Tecdoc-517, “Application of Probabilistic Safety Assessment to Research Reactors”, Vienna, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.J. Barón, J. N#x00FA;ñez y S. Rivera, “A Level III PSA for the Inherently Safe CAREM-25 Nuclear Power Station”, Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management 96, Cacciabue & Papazoglou (Eds.), 1996 Springer-Verlag, London, ISBN 3-540-76051-2, pp. 553-558.Google Scholar
- 4.Safety Series N° 50-P-7, “Treatment of External Hazards in Probabilistic Safety Assessment for Nuclear Power Plants”, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.“A Level I + Probabilistic Safety Assessment of the High Flux Australian Reactor”, Pickard, Lowe & Garrick, January 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.“Systems Analysis Programs for Hands-on Integrated Reliability Evaluations (SAPHIRE) Version 6.54”, Idaho National Engineering Laboratory, Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Company, Inc., USA.Google Scholar
- 7.Iaea-Tecdoc-930, “Generic Component Reliability data for Research Reactor PSA”, Vienna, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Iaea-Tecdoc-478, Component Reliability Data for use in Probabilistic Safety Assessment, IAEA, Vienna, 1988.Google Scholar