A Machine Learning Algorithm to Estimate Minimal Cut and Path Sets from a Monte Carlo Simulation
In this paper a novel approach based on a machine learning algorithm (Hamming Clustering) is proposed to estimate the minimal cut and path sets, using the samples generated by a Monte Carlo simulation and any Evaluation Function. Two examples show the potential of the proposed approach.
KeywordsMonte Carlo Boolean Function Binary String Minimal Path Fault Tree Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Pereira M.V.F, Pinto L.M.V.G.: “A New Computational Tool for Composite Reliability Evaluation”, IEEE Power System Engineering Society Summer Meeting, 1991, 91SM443-2Google Scholar
- 2.Reingold E., Nievergelt J., Deo N.: Combinatorial Algorithms: Theory and Practice, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1977Google Scholar
- 4.E. Zio: “Fault tree analysis”, http://lasar.cesnef.polimi.it/lasar/notes.htm.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Lin, C. Donaghey: “A Monte Carlo Simulation to Determine Minimal Cut Sets and System Reliability”, 1993 Proceeding Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium.Google Scholar
- 6.Billinton, R. Allan R.N: Reliability Evaluation of Engineering Systems, Concepts and Techniques. Second Edition. Plenum Press. 1992Google Scholar
- 7.Aggarwal K.K., Chopra Y.C., Bajwa J.S.: Capacity Consideration in Reliability Analysis of Communication Systems, IEEE Trans on Reliability, Vol. 31, No. 2, Jun. 1982Google Scholar
- 8.Rai S, Soh S.: A Computer Approach for Reliability Evaluation of Telecommunication Networks with Heterogeneous Link-Capacities, IEEE Trans on Reliability, Vol. 40, No. 4, Oct. 1991Google Scholar
- 11.Rocco C.M., Muselli M.: “Empirical Models Based On Machine Learning Techniques for Determining Approximated Reliability Expressions”, to appear in Reliability Engineering and System Safety.Google Scholar
- 12.Billinton, R. Li W.: Reliability Assessment of Electric Power System Using Monte Carlo Methods. Plenum Press. 1994Google Scholar
- 13.Colbourn Ch.: The Combinatorics of Network Reliability, Oxford University Press, 1987Google Scholar
- 14.Yoo Y.B., Deo N.: “A Comparison of Algorithm for Terminal-Pair Reliability”, IEEE Transaction on Reliability, Vol. 37, No. 2, June 1988Google Scholar
- 15.Martínez L: NEREA: A Network Reliability Assessment software, M.Sc. Thesis, Facultad de Ingenieria, Universidad Central de Venezuela, June 2002 (in Spanish)Google Scholar