Level 2 PSA for the VVER 440/213 Dukovany Nuclear Power Plant
Nuclear power plant Dukovany is a WER 440/213 type plant (440 MW electric power) with four units. Its operation started in 1985. The first limited scope Level 2 PSA for the Unit 1 of this NPP was performed as a USAID project in the years 1995 to 1998 and completed in April 1998 . It was limited to full power operation and had to reflect the unique containment design with bubble condenser pressure suppression system. Scientific lead was provided by Science Application International Corporation (SAIC), other organizations involved were UJV Rez and the Dukovany plant. An important part of the work was transfer of knowledge, which enabled later revisions of this PSA by UJV specialists. The large event tree method, denoted APET — Accident Progression Event Tree, was used. The PSA included, among other activities, accident progression analyses of the dominant scenarios performed in UJV using the MELCOR1.8.3 code , the design of the event tree, basic events and other parameters quantification, event tree evaluation with the EVNTRE code  and sensitivity studies.
KeywordsSteam Explosion Core Damage Containment Status Probabilistic Safety Assessment Early Ignition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bradley DR, Clement SD, Puglia J(SAIC), Dienstbier J, Rydl A(UJV). NPP Dukovany WER/440 V213 Unit 1. Probabilistic Safety Assessment Level 2: Containment Performance. SAIC-98/2647, April 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.Summers RM et al. MELCOR Computer Code Manuals. Version 1.8.3. Vol.1, 2. NUREG/CR-6119. SAND93-2185. September 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.Griesmeyer JM, Smith LN. A Reference Manual for the Event Progression Analysis Code (EVNTRE). NUREG/CR-5174. SAND88-1607. September 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.Dienstbier J, Kujal B. Probabilistic Safety Assessment NPP Dukovany Level 2 — Severe Accidents. Revision 2 (in Czech). UJV Z-903-T, October 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Department of Energy’s Team’s Analyses of Soviet Designed VVERs. DOE/NE-0086 Rev. l September 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.US NRC Individual Plant Examination: Submittal Guidance. Final Report. NUREG-1335. August 1989.Google Scholar