The Role of Probabilistic Safety Analysis in Radioactive Waste Management — A UK Regulatory View
The operation of nuclear facilities over the last fifty years in the UK has led to a legacy of radioactive wastes in various forms. These wastes have resulted from, inter alia, the manufacture of fuel elements, the generation of electricity and the treatment of spent fuel. The decommissioning of facilities also produces a large quantity of radioactive material. As this legacy is addressed these waste materials need to be managed so that the risks to people and the environment are kept as low as reasonably practicable. Currently in the UK no decision has been made regarding the ultimate management of intermediate and high level wastes so that extended passively safe storage on nuclear licensed sites of large quantities of waste is being planned. This paper explores various issues related to the demonstration of safety in the management of radioactive wastes, in particular the role that PSA might play.
KeywordsRadioactive Waste High Level Waste Numerical Risk Safety Case Liquid High Level Waste
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Demonstration of ALARP, T/AST/005, www.hse.gov.uk/nsd/tast005.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 2.Guidance on the Purpose, Scope and Content of Nuclear Safety Cases, T/AST/051, www.hse.gov.uk/nsd/tast.051.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 3.HSE Safety Assessment Principles for Nuclear Plants, www.hse.gov.uk/nsd/saps/htmGoogle Scholar
- 4.Safety Goals for Nuclear Materials and Radioactive Wastes — The UK Regulatory Approach, Int Conf on Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management, June 2004, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 5.Bedford T & Cooke R, Probabilistic Risk Analysis, Cambridge UP, 2001Google Scholar
- 6.Vaughan G J, Decision Making, Risk and the Role of PSA, ANS Int Top Mtg, Probabilistic Safety Assessment, Detroit, USA, October 2002Google Scholar
- 7.HSE Tolerability of Risk from Nuclear Power Stations, HMSO, London 1992Google Scholar
- 8.HSE The Storage of Liquid high level waste at BNFL Sellafield, www.hse.gov.uk/nsd/bnfl.htmGoogle Scholar
- 9.Guidance for Inspectors on the Management of Radioactive Materials and Radioactive Waste on Nuclear Licensed Sites, www.hse.gov.uk/nsd/wastel/pdfGoogle Scholar
- 11.Fawcett P et al, The Use of a Waste Conversion Index as a Long Term Performance Indicators for Public Sector Liabilities: 9th Int Conf on Environmental Remediation and Radioactive Waste Management, Oxford September 2003Google Scholar
- 12.Bacon M et al, ALARP/BPM in nuclear licensed sites: a joint regulatory review. To be published in J Radiation Protection and Radioactive Waste Management, Oxford, September 2003Google Scholar