An Entropy-Based Exploration Strategy in Dynamic PRA
An entropy-based biasing rule for the guidance of Dynamic PRA simulations is introduced in this paper. The rule aims to continuously adjust itself based on simulation results, in order to guide the simulations towards groups of sequences for which the highest amount of uncertainty exists regarding their end states. The simple rule described in this paper behaves as intended, even though it has limitations that make it unfit for large scale application.
KeywordsEvent Sequence System Safety Acceleration Factor Space Shuttle Probabilistic Risk Assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Devooght J., Smidts C., Probabilistic reactor dynamics. I. The theory of continuous event trees, Nuclear Science & Engineering vol.111, pp 229–240, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.Labeau, P.E.; Zio, E; Biasing schemes in component-based and system-based Monte Carlo algorithms in system engineering, Proceedings of Esre12001 vol.2, pp. 903–910. 2001Google Scholar
- 8.Loredo, T.J., Chernoff, D.F., Bayesian Adaptive Exploration, Statistical Challenges in Modern Astronomy III, in press, 2003.Google Scholar
- 10.Maggio, Gaspare, Space Shuttle Probabilistic Risk Assessment: Methodology and Application, Proceedings of the Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium, pp. 121-132. 1996Google Scholar
- 11.Mosleh, A., et al., Simulation Based Probabilistic Risk Assessment, Technical Report, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 2003.Google Scholar
- 12.Marseguerra, M; Zio, E; Devooght, J; Labeau, P.E. A concept paper on dynamic reliability via Monte Carlo simulation, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation vol. 47:2–5 (1998), pp.371-382, 1998Google Scholar
- 14.Smidts C, Devooght J., Probabilistic reactor dynamics. II. A Monte Carlo study of a fast reactor transient, Nuclear Science & Engineering, vol.111, pp 241–256 (1992)Google Scholar
- 15.Smidts C., Devooght J. and Labeau P.E., Dynamic Reliability: Future Directions, International Workshop Series on Advanced Topics in Reliability and Risk Analysis, CRE Publication, August 2000.Google Scholar