Criteria for Software Tools Evaluation in the Development of Safety-Critical Real-Time Systems
The paper presents various views of the criteria to be selected for evaluation of software tools used in the development of safety-critical real-time systems. It focuses on the avionics application area and derives a model for tool evaluation based on the process described in RTCA/DO-178B guidelines. The taxonomy of the tools is presented and four views of the criteria are applied to it, with an ultimate purpose to provide guidelines for the tool certification process. Data are presented from an initial experiment serving as a test-bed supporting the tool assessment methodology.
KeywordsTool Evaluation Quality Function Deployment Federal Aviation Administration Automatic Code Generation Software Behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.RTCA, Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification, Report RTCAIDO-178B, Washington, DC, 1992Google Scholar
- 2.Ihme T. et al., Developing Application Frameworks for Mission-Critical Software: Using Space Application, Research Notes 1933, Technical Research Centre of Finland, Espoo, Finland, 1998Google Scholar
- 3.Wichmann B., Guidance for the Adoption of Tools for Use in Safety Related Software Development, Draft Report, British Computer Society, London, 1999Google Scholar
- 4.Kornecki A., J. Zalewski, Design Tool Assessment for Safety-Critical Software Development, Proc. SEW’04 28th NASAIIEEE Software Engineering Workshop, Greenbelt, MD, December 2-4, 2003Google Scholar
- 5.Kornecki A., J. Zalewski, Assessment of Software Development Tools for Safety-Critical Real-Time Systems, Proc. PDS2003 IFAC Workshop on Programmable Devices and Systems, Ostrava, Czech Republic, February 11–13, 2003, pp. 2-7Google Scholar
- 6.ARINC Inc., Avionics Application Software Standard Interface, ARINC Specification 653, Baltimore, MD, 1997Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE Draft Std. P1175.3ID4.3 CASE Tool Interconnections — Reference Model for Specifying Software behavior, IEEE, New York, 2003Google Scholar
- 8.Zalewski J., Software Dynamics — A New Measure of performance for Real-Time Software, Proc. SEW04 28th NASAIIEEE Software Engineering Workshop, Greenbelt, MD, December 2-4, 2003Google Scholar