Quantification and Tentative Internalisation of Energy External Costs in the European Union
European researchers have made strong efforts to scientifically quantify the so-called energy “external costs”, i.e. the social and environmental damages coming from the production and use of energy. Today, after years of research and if still many uncertainties exist, a clear awareness about the necessity to internalise external costs starts to appear in the European Union decision-making process.
KeywordsEuropean Union External Cost European Research Area Probabilistic Safety Assessment Impact Pathway Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- European Commission, ExternE: Externalities of Energy, Vol. 1-10, OPEC, Luxembourg, 1995 and 1999 and European Commission, External Costs, OPEC, Luxemburg, 2003.Google Scholar
- Marchipont J.-F., Rossetti di Valdalbero D., External Costs: The European Commission’s approach in the area of research, Pollution Atmosphérique, Paris, December 2001.Google Scholar
- European Commission Communication on the Sixth Environment Action Programme of the European Community, COM(2001)31, 24/1/2001.Google Scholar
- European Commission, Green paper: towards a European strategy for the security of energy supply, COM(2000)769, 29/11/2000.Google Scholar
- European Commission, White Paper on European transport policy for 2010, COM(2001)370, 12/9/2001.Google Scholar
- European Commission, Community guidelines on State aid for environmental protection, OJEC C 37, 3/2/2001.Google Scholar
- European Commission, proposal for a directive amending directive 1999/62/EC on the charging of heavy goods vehicles for the use of certain infrastructures, COM(2003)448, 23/7/2003Google Scholar
- European Directive 2001/77/EC on the promotion of electricity produced from renewable energy source in the internal electricity market, OJEC, L 283.Google Scholar
- European projects RECORDIT (http://www.recordit.org), ECOSIT (http://www.isis-it.comIdocIprogetto. asp?id=46) and UNITE (http://Iwww.its.leeds.ac.ukIprojects/unite/ index.htm.Google Scholar
- European Commission, Towards a European Research Area, COM(2000)6, 18/1/2000.Google Scholar