Reliability Prediction in Railway Signalling
In railway signalling, reliability predictions are necessary for safety and reliability analysis and demonstration. As a result of European harmonisation, requirements have changed. In this paper the application of and modified requirements for reliability predictions of electronic hardware components are elucidated and the current practice in this regard at Siemens Transportation Systems Rail Automation presented.
KeywordsFailure Rate Field Data Reliability Prediction Constant Failure Rate Probabilistic Safety Assessment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CENELEC. EN 50126 Railway Applications — The Specification and Demonstration of Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety (RAMS)Google Scholar
- 2.IEC. DIN IEC 50 (191) — International Electrotechnical Vocabulary — Chapter 191: Dependability and quality of serviceGoogle Scholar
- 3.EBA (Federal German Railways Office). Technical Principles for the Approval of Safety-related Systems for Signalling (Mü 8004) (in German)Google Scholar
- 4.Murphy K E, Carter C M, Brown S O. The Exponential Distribution: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. A Practical Guide to its Implementation, Proceedings Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium 2002Google Scholar
- 5.Birolini A. Quality and Reliability of Technical Systems, Springer, 1997, Pp 37Google Scholar
- 6.CENELEC. EN 50129 Railway Applications — Communication, signalling and processing systems: Safety related electronic systems for signallingGoogle Scholar
- 7.IEC. IEC 61709: Electronic components — Reliability — Reference conditions for failure rates and stress models for conversionGoogle Scholar
- 8.Department of Defense (1995). MIL-HDBK-217F: Military Handbook; Reliability Prediction of Electronic EquipmentGoogle Scholar
- 9.Siemens AG. SN 29500 — Ausfallraten, Bauelemente, Ausgabe 11, 1999Google Scholar
- 10.Italtel. IRPH 2003 — Italtel Reliability Prediction HandbookGoogle Scholar
- 11.Uhrig B, Wend F. Evaluation of field data versus reliability prediction according to MIL-HDBK-217F, SIGNAL+DRAHT 04/2003Google Scholar