Difference of Concept between Space PRA and Nuclear PRA
While the PRA concept has a variety of applications, it has a unique utilization in various industries depending on a certain applied purpose. Therefore this paper clarifies and summarizes differences of concept between Space PRA and Nuclear PRA based on past PRA applications and derives essential issues of research areas in the field of PRA application. These PRA applications are vivid areas and occupy large percentage of current PRA applications. Fundamentally two applications do not use the same concept of PRA, but the methods and databases are very similar. This paper clarifies the substantial consideration embedded in PRA concept for a different application by comparison between Nuclear PRA and Space PRA.This paper addresses the findings of current PRA projects carrying out for Space Station and ELV (Expendable Launching Vehicle) in Japan.
KeywordsFailure Probability Space Shuttle Launch Vehicle Space System Hazard Identification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.NASA, Probabilistic Risk Assessment Procedure and Guide For NASA Managers and Practitioners, March 2002Google Scholar
- 2.Feng Hsu, W.E.Vesely, Comparison of Differences and Commonalities of Nuclear Power Plant and The Space Shuttle PRA, p567-574, PSAM6, 2002Google Scholar
- 3.RAC, NPRD, NPRD95; Non-Electric Parts Reliability Data 1995Google Scholar
- 4.RAC, EPRD97; Electric Parts Reliability Data, Vol. 1 & 2 1997Google Scholar
- 5.RAC, FMD; Failure ModeI Mechanism Distributions 1997Google Scholar
- 6.Telcodia Technologies SR-332; Reliability Prediction Procedure for Electric EquipmentGoogle Scholar