Risk Guidelines for the Nuclear Materials and Waste Arenas
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s (NRC) Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards (NMSS) regulates a wide range of materials and waste facilities and activities. In 1999, the Commission directed the staff to develop appropriate risk guidelines as one part of an overall framework to risk-inform NMSS regulatory activities. This paper presents the current status of work on draft risk guidelines for the nuclear materials and waste arenas and focuses on risk from accidents at operating facilities or activities. Both qualitative and quantitative guidelines are under consideration for public and worker health and safety.
KeywordsNuclear Material Nuclear Regulatory Commission Probabilistic Risk Assessment Fatality Risk Safety Goal
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Use of probabilistic risk assessment in nuclear regulatory activities: Final policy statement. Federal Register, Vol. 60, No.158, August 16, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Framework for risk-informed regulation in the Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards. SECY-99-100, March 31, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Staff requirements — SECY-99-100 — Framework for risk-informed regulation in the Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards. SRM-SECY-99-100, June 28, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.Mubayi, V., Bari, R. A., Grove, E., et al. The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Program on risk-informing the materials and waste arenas: A decision-making framework, Proceedings of PSAM7, www.psam7.org, Berlin, 2004, this conference.Google Scholar
- 5.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Safety goals for the operations of nuclear power plants; Policy statement. Federal Register, Vol. 51, p. 30028, August 4, 1986.Google Scholar