HSE Petroleum: Change — Organisation — Technology
The paper presents the results and main conclusions from a pilot study on technological and organisational changes with a bearing on health and safety conditions in the oil industry. The study applies a cross-disciplinary approach, and focuses specially on human and organisational defences against accident risks, and the importance of workers participation in change processes and discourse arenas for the main stakeholders at different levels on issues regarding facts, means and ends in health and safety management.
KeywordsOrganisational Change Petroleum Industry Worker Participation Emergency Preparedness Accident Risk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hovden, J. & Steiro, T. The effects of cost-cutting in the Norwegian petroleum industry. In Cottam, Harvey, Pape & Tait (eds.) Foresight and Precaution. (ESREL) A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Hovden, J. & Steiro, T. Distributed decision-making and uncertainty management: accident risk assessment in petroleum development projects. In Kondo & Furtura (eds.) PSAM 5 — Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management. Universal Academic Press, Tokyo, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.www.hmsforsk.noGoogle Scholar
- 4.Arbeids-og Administrasjonsdepartementet. Stortingsmelding nr. 7 Oslo, 2001-2002 (White paper on HSE in the petroleum industry)Google Scholar
- 6.Hale, A. & Barman, M. (eds.) Safety Management. The Challenge of Change. Pergamon, Oxford, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.Skjerve, A.B., Rosness, R., Aase, K. et al. Human and Organizational Contributions to Safety Defences in Offshore Oil Production. Paper at PSAM7, Berlin, 2004.Google Scholar
- 8.Sklet, S. & Hauge, S. Reflections on the concept of safety barriers. Paper at PSAM7, Berlin, 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.With, D. Is it possible to maintain the emergency preparedness organizational redundancy after changes? Newkirk (ed.) Emergency Management in a Changing World. TIEMS 10, Sophia-Antipolis, 2003.Google Scholar
- 10.Steiro, T. et al Leading Safe Change. Paper at PSAM7, Berlin, 2004.Google Scholar
- 11.Serck-Hansen, C. (ed.) Safe Change. Methodology on Change in Norwegian Oil Industry. Det Norske Veritas, Høvik, 2002.Google Scholar
- 12.Qvale, T. New Concepts in Work Organization: a Case from the Norwegian Offshore Petroleum Industry. Ch. 8 in Gold (ed.) New Frontiers in Democratic Participation at Work. Ashgate, Hampshire, 2003.Google Scholar
- 13.Alteren, B., Sveen, J., Klev, R et. al. ”Smarter Together” in Offshore Drilling — a Successful Action Research Project? Paper at PSAM7IEsrel 04, Berlin, 2004.Google Scholar