The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Program on Risk-Informing the Materials and Waste Arenas: A Decision-Making Framework
This paper describes a process for risk-informed decisionmaking of regulatory issues and actions by the Office of Nuclear Materials Safety and Safeguards of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The process, currently under development, consists of screening the issue to determine its suitability for risk-informing, and using relevant risk information combined with suggested decision algorithms to arrive at a risk-informed decision.
KeywordsDecision Algorithm Tolerable Risk Nuclear Regulatory Commission Unacceptable Risk Risk Metrics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Safety Goals for the Operations of Nuclear Power Plants; Policy Statement, Federal Register, Vol. 51, p. 30028, August 4, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Regulatory Guide 1.174, An Approach for Using Probabilistic Risk Assessment in Risk-Informed Decisions on Plant-Specific Changes to the Licensing Basis, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Risk Analysis and Evaluations of Regulatory Options for Nuclear Byproduct Material Systems, NUREG/CR-6642, February 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Regulatory Analysis Technical Evaluation Handbook, NUREG/BR-0184, January 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Regulatory Analysis Guidelines of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, NUREG/BR-0058, July 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Recommendations for Reactor Oversight Process Improvements (Follow-up To SECY-99-0007), SECY-99-007A, March 22, 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Inspection Manual Chapter 0609, Significance Determination Process, April 30, 2002.Google Scholar