Nuclear Action Reliability Assessment (NARA): A Data-Based HRA Tool
In the UK, as elsewhere, probabilistic safety assessments (PSAs) are carried out to assure the safety of nuclear power plants (NPPs). Since human error and recovery are key attributes of a risk assessment approach, Human Reliability Assessment (HRA) approaches are used to account for the human contribution (positive as well as negative) to risk. In the UK, for the past decade, the principal tool used to quantify the reliabilities of human interactions has been the Human Error Assessment and Reduction Technique (HEART) [1,2].
KeywordsHuman Error Risk Assessment Approach Operator Inexperience Probabilistic Safety Assessment Human Error Probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Williams, J.C., “HEART — A Proposed Method for Assessing and Reducing Human Error”, Proceedings of the 9th “Advances in Reliability Technology” Symposium, University of Bradford, 1986.Google Scholar
- 2.Williams, J.C. A data-based method for assessing and reducing human error to improve operational performance. In IEEE Conference on Human Factors in Power Plants, pp. 436-450. Monterey, California, June 5–9, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Gibson, H., Basra, G., and Kirwan, B. Development of the CORE-DATA database. Safety & Reliability Journal, Safety and Reliability Society, Manchester, 19, 1, 6–20, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Kirwan, B. A comparative evaluation of five human reliability assessment techniques. In Human Factors and Decision Making. Sayers, B.A. (Ed.). London: Elsevier, pp 87–109, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Kennedy, R., Kirwan, B., and Summersgill, R. Making HRA a more consistent science. In Foresight & Precaution, Eds. Cottam, M., Pape, R.P., Harvey, D.W., and Tait, J. Balkema, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- 8.Kennedy, R., Kirwan, B., Summersgill, R., and Rea, K. Validation of HRA techniques-déjà vu five years on? In Foresight & Precaution, Eds. Cottam, M., Pape, R.P., Harvey, D.W., and Tait, J. Balkema, Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- 9.Kirwan, B. Review of six HRA issues. International Conference on Nuclear Power Operations 3, Tokyo, September, 1999.Google Scholar