Comparison of Organisational Cultures at Two NPP Maintenance Units — When is Maintenance Work Motivating and Meaningful?
Maintenance of a nuclear power plant (NPP) is a complex activity characterised by many coupled subsystems, uncertainty in the data available to the workers, mediated interaction via various tools and potentially high hazards. The activities in maintenance organisations include preventive maintenance, planned outages, modifications and different kinds of fault repairs. Correct working of the machinery and technology is critical to both plant safety and efficiency. Thus, appropriate maintenance strategies, efficient procedures and skilful work are the key factors of reliability at NPPs. How an organisation can achieve this?
KeywordsNuclear Power Plant Preventive Maintenance Fault Repair Maintenance Task Maintenance Work
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cameron K.S. & Quinn R.E. Diagnosing and Changing Organisational Culture: Based on the Competing Values Framework. Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1999Google Scholar
- 4.Hackman J.R. & Oldham G.R. Work Redesign. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1980Google Scholar
- 7.Reiman T., Oedewald P., Rollenhagen C. & Eriksson I. Contextual assessment of maintenance culture at Olkiluoto and Forsmark. NKS-R report, 2004Google Scholar
- 8.Reiman T. & Oedewald P. Measuring maintenance culture and maintenance core task with CULTURE-questionnaire — a case study in the power industry, submittedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Reiman T. & Oedewald P. The Assessment of an Organisational Culture and Core Task in Complex Sociotechnical Systems, submittedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Reiman T. & Norros L. Regulatory Culture: Balancing the Different Demands of Regulatory Practice in the Nuclear Industry. In Kirwan, B., Hale, A.R. & Hopkins, A. (eds.), Changing Regulation — Controlling Risks in Society. Oxford: Pergamon, 2002Google Scholar
- 11.Schein E. H. Organizational Culture and Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1985Google Scholar
- 12.Tabachnick B. G. & Fidell L. S. Using multivariate statistics. 4th edition. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 2001Google Scholar
- 13.Wahlström, B., Wilpert, B., Cox, S., Sola, R. & Rollenhagen, C. Learning organisations for nuclear safety. In proceedings of the 2002 IEEE 7th Conference on Human Factors and Power Plants. Scottsdale, Arizona, USA, 2002Google Scholar